Switching from Hybrid to Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexRoy

I started cycling at the beginning of July, having not owned a bike since I passed my driving test around 8 years ago.
I've been riding a hybrid which I bought used on Gumtree, it's a good bike but too small for me; wasn't sure how long I'd stick it so not much thought or research went into the purchase.

Two and a half months on and I haven't looked back, I've gotten faster than when I started and now feel the time is right to buy a road bike. I've had a quick look online though and it's an absolute minefield. I haven't got a budget as such but equally don't want to lay out four figures if the sub £500 bikes are equally as suitable for what I need.

Most of my riding is done when commuting 5 miles each way to and from work. I normally average 16mph (with a couple of junctions and a flyover bridge) into a headwind in the morning, and around 18mph with a tailwind in the afternoon. I just want something basic that's going to allow me to take time off the journey and/or make it easier.

I guess my question is, essentially, will I be okay with one of the lower end models or will I regret not spending more later down the line?

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll be fine with a more basic bike for a 5 mile commute, Get one that will take mudguards and possibly a pannier rack. Look at Decathlon, Merlin, Wiggle etc

the snail

Guru
I guess my question is, essentially, will I be okay with one of the lower end models or will I regret not spending more later down the line?
yes and probably yes.
£500 buys you a nice budget road bike, perfectly fine ride, more money buys a nicer one and I doubt you'd regret spending the extra, but you've got to draw the line somewhere. I think the important thing is to find a bike that has the right features, fits you well - if you get that right you won't care how much you paid for it in the long run.

Top Bottom