Switching handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Hi, hope you can help with this query!

I've got a flat bar road bike with ITM Lite Luxe handlebar, and a hardtail mtb with the GT badged low-riser handlebar.

If I wanted to swap them over, can I do this, technically, simply by removing the levers and shifters from each, and taking off the front plate from the stems and then refitting them on the other bikes?

Or is it more complicated/less compatible than that?

Thanks

Stuart

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It should be as simple as that - you'll find out pretty soon if it's not!

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

LOL cheers ZZ I thought I might risk it! Only thing I can think is I need to check the diameters of the sections where the shifters etc go to make sure they're the same, but will I be able to get the STIs off each bar without removing the grips? And what about that bit in the centre of the bars that is wider diameter - do both bars need to be the same diameter there, too?

Stuart

zimzum42

Legendary Member
You will be able to get away with small differences in diameter at the bit where the shifters go

The bit in the middle will have to be the same diameter, or you'll have to use a shim. If it's just a tiny bit loose, then what I did with one of my won bikes was to cut a strip out of a coke can and use that as a shim, it makes the handlebar just that little bit fatter if necessary

I reckon you'll have to take the grips off

off to bed now, night night!

Top Bottom