Switching lights on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, but looking backwards between legs to make sure it's on is a necessary but almost suicidal act. :rolleyes:

LOOL!

If you have a Dinotte, then you'll never ever be in doubt as to whether the light is on.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Suddenly the daylight is gone - and despite the warmth we are plunged into darkness for most of the day...

I have a silly routine when coming home around lighting-up time. I have no idea when it started...

I switch my lights on when five out of the last ten cars to pass me have their side lights (or more) on.

I go for lots of visible clothing and work on the principle that I need to be seen to be safe... but I still let this barmy schoolroom game rule when I switch my lights on. If one of the ten turns off before passing me, it is discounted.

Am I the only terminally sad person out here, or do others let silly counting games govern the way they manage their visibility and illumination?

I should add that I ride on very busy roads, so there's no chance I'll get home in fading light without my lights on.

I should also add that highly sensitive automatic headlights on newer cars are threatening the very soul of my game...

The Brompton has a B&M that's on all the time ( change of dynamo from bottle to hub), the Tourer has a B&M has a "highly sensitive automatic headlight ".

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I use my eyes. When visibility starts to fade, I put my lights on, yes it's that simple. 5 out of 10 cars sounds like a Channel 4 game show.

This
thumbsup.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Yes he does, at least when riding his bike. Same here.

Would I be right in assuming that you get less close passes, people stepping out in front of you, left hooking etc than you do if you don't have them on, have you ridden for extended periods without them on to see how much of a difference it makes?
It may not seem this way but I'm trying very hard to type this in a non confrontational tone of voice, it's a genuine question :thumbsup:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm not sure whether it makes much difference in safety at all, to be honest. I've two reasons for doing it, one is that it's a good anti-argument against SMIDSY and insurance companies, since it's rather hard to argue you didn't see an Exposure MaXx-D/Dinotte 400L and weren't either blind or incompetent. The other is that with the Exposure on flash, I get far more drivers pulling out of my way when I filter through standing traffic. A few told me that they thought I was a police vehicle in a complaining tone of voice, LOL.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Would I be right in assuming that you get less close passes, people stepping out in front of you, left hooking etc than you do if you don't have them on, have you ridden for extended periods without them on to see how much of a difference it makes?
It may not seem this way but I'm trying very hard to type this in a non confrontational tone of voice, it's a genuine question :thumbsup:

It's way too hard to compare to with and without, i've done both for a lengthy period of time.
You get the same sort of incidences in every format in london, by having your lights on all the time then you are doing what you to avoid the general smidsy and making your self as visible as possible.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That's great, thank you.
Have you had an incident where having the light on has assisted with a SMIDSY or are you hoping it would should the situation arise?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not sure whether it makes much difference in safety at all, to be honest. I've two reasons for doing it, one is that it's a good anti-argument against SMIDSY and insurance companies, since it's rather hard to argue you didn't see an Exposure MaXx-D/Dinotte 400L and weren't either blind or incompetent. The other is that with the Exposure on flash, I get far more drivers pulling out of my way when I filter through standing traffic. A few told me that they thought I was a police vehicle in a complaining tone of voice, LOL.

Same reason here I pop the lights on when light isn't great. You need the 'WTF is that' reaction some times.

My ex. clubmate has gone hi viz dayglo everything - nearly blinded me with the high viz. tonight... Loads of hi viz reflectives on the bike now, since last week. Me, I had my lights on.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Can I hijack this thread to ask whether anyone knows who sells Dinotte in UK?

I bought mine via the US site. There's a much brighter light out that I've seen recently on YouTube, called a DesignShine:

View: http://youtu.be/0xGzfcvNBNc

If it's really as bright as the video shows, I'd say that's outrageous. The dinotte is already enough to make a very few drivers shield their eyes when waiting behind me at the traffic lights. Lazers ov DETH.

Top Bottom