Switzerland's Lake Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hen5333p

My girlfriend and I are planning to cycle Switzerland's Lakes Route next year. I'm hoping to find someone who has cycled this route that can give us some advice. My main concern is automobile traffic since nearly all of the riding we do in the USA is on dedicated bike paths (rail-to trails) that are non-motorized. It would be much appreciated if someone with experience on this route could give us an idea of what it would be like.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I very much doubt that the route will have cycle paths along its entire length and a considerable amount of cycling with be shared with cars on public roads. Having said that, I have been untroubled by car drivers in France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary when sharing the road with them. Drivers are bike aware and courteous. You could try contacting the Swiss Touring Board http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/home.html and asking them about the percentage of route that has cycle paths.

mcr

Veteran
I did a stretch of the eastern end (Bodensee to Rapperswil) about 8 years ago and it was a delight - along the Rhine levee and then in a valley between high mountains past the Walensee. Almost all on dedicated paths (I remember one road stretch before the Walensee and traffic was light), including a lit cyclist's tunnel through one headland. If anything the Swiss paths tend towards taking you up a mountain and down again if it avoids a busy road, so you'll be fine - and as Vernon says, European drivers (UK excepted!) are used to cyclists of all sorts on the roads, so usually give a wide berth. I presume you've seen this.

OP
OP
H

hen5333p

Much thanks to Vernon, mcr, Alan H, Durian and Herzog for wonderful words of encouragement. Sounds like a go for us, We have limited cycle touring experience and none in Europe so this trip is a major step for us. Thanks again to all, I'm starting my long climb training now! If anyone else has experience along any part of this route it would be great to hear from you too.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
If anyone else has experience along any part of this route .

I don't know the Lakes Route but if it includes the Bodenzee (Lake Constance), plan your trips so that you get to stay overnight on the German side.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I rode from Montreux to Chamonix last week, and certainly had no problems with cars along main roads - the drivers probably somewhat less racy than the south of France (my usual foreign haunt). Clear road signage as well - no problems in getting from M to C (and back) without checking the map (apart from one place where I didn't bother to read the signs).

Top Bottom