Sworks tarmac sl6 or specialized tarmac sl7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

new2cc

Hi just running this past anyone for a bit of advice - or real world experience....

Am thinking of bike upgrade and trying to decide between the 2 options. Can get good clean used sworks tarmac sl6 for similar price to a standard/ non Sworks version specialized tarmac sl7.

Ive read many reviews of both bikes and know the main change of new sl7 is the aero benefits. The sworks sl6 is gonna be couple hundred grams lighter framset and poss another few hundred on better/lighter groupset and finishing kit components..

So really just wondering is the top Rand swork sl6 framset gonna be better that heavier but more aero sl7.

It will be used for racing but nothing over here that would involve massive alpine type climbing. Obv the Seton sl7 would be perfect but can justify 10k on a bike!!😱

Any advice much appreciated...👍🏻

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If it were me personally I would not race on either as there is too much risk of destroying it In a crash. However, if you are okay with that risk, then I would decide based on the type of racing. The lighter bike would be good for crits with lots of accelerations, whilst the aero SL7 will be good on less twisty races.

OP
OP
N

new2cc

If it were me personally I would not race on either as there is too much risk of destroying it In a crash. However, if you are okay with that risk, then I would decide based on the type of racing. The lighter bike would be good for crits with lots of accelerations, whilst the aero SL7 will be good on less twisty races.
Yes crash risk would always be a worry esp on bike of that value. It would defo be the cherished/#1 bike but at the moment I've a few race bikes so having one do it all best bike/race bike is sort of how I'm trying to justify it. The dream machine wud be sworks sl7 but as I say, well over my budget. Suppose another consideration if went for the sl7 i'd then also be taking the leap to disk brakes making all my existing spares for rim brake redundant, whereas if got a rim brake sworks sl6 I would have spare wheelsets plus components like shift levers/derailiurs etc from other bikes in event of crash etc.

Dunno still undecided - have swayed one way to other several times already juggling weight Vs aero argument....🤪

They're pro kit. Mate has had a Tarmac S Works for years now. First one had to be replaced under warranty as Brake bridge cracked flying.
Replacement developed a hole in the fork one day. This was spotted about half way through a mountainous 80 miler...

Fork replaced under warranty.

They're lovely bikes but seemingly not as durable as cheaper bikes ?

If you can only afford one bike - I'd not race it.

OP
OP
N

new2cc

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I know Id prob be brickin' it riding bike of that value in race - wincing every time stones thrown up hitting/chipping the paintwork :-/

Was'nt aware of possible durability issue, so good point... and fact warranty may not carry over.

Aye much to ponder. Prob very little between them - would prob always hanker for the s-works as I'm sure everyone would aspire to owning the manufacturers top line bike not matter what bike make/model that is. But in real world are you gonna notice the difference....

Cheers Guys..

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I know Id prob be brickin' it riding bike of that value in race - wincing every time stones thrown up hitting/chipping the paintwork :-/

Was'nt aware of possible durability issue, so good point... and fact warranty may not carry over.

Aye much to ponder. Prob very little between them - would prob always hanker for the s-works as I'm sure everyone would aspire to owning the manufacturers top line bike not matter what bike make/model that is. But in real world are you gonna notice the difference....

Cheers Guys..
Warranty info here - you won't be covered on a used bike if it is more than 2 years old (and then only for the time left to 2 years of age)
https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/warranty/

Top Bottom