T20 Cricket World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The United Kingdom representative team did damn well. Better than the Scottish regional team.
See, we are better separated - let us go, we are a burden on youse.

gavgav

Guru
Not sure I've ever been so gutted at us losing a cricket match. It was a huge achievement to even get to the final and to make a game of it after a dreadful start was also a huge effort, but to get so close and watch it disappear in a barrage of sixes was a real flattener :sad:

gavgav

Guru
[QUOTE 4222100, member: 76"]That will be the end of Stokes if they don't look after him![/QUOTE]
Nah, he's a real character and he'll bounce back and learn from that.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Amidst all the disappointment I think we should keep yesterday's result in perspective. England came within a hair's breadth of becoming World Champions. This from a team that was generally considered to have no chance at the start of the competition

Of course there's the Australian attitude of "second place is first loser" but I don't see I that way. Young squad, forged in adversity, rose to the challenge. OK, failing to defend 19 off the last over was painful but these things happen and generally the death bowling has been excellent (it is what set up the semi final win)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Of course there's the Australian attitude of "second place is first loser" but I don't see I that way. Young squad, forged in adversity, rose to the challenge. OK, failing to defend 19 off the last over was painful but these things happen and generally the death bowling has been excellent (it is what set up the semi final win)
Yep - at the start of the competition, I'd have been sceptical had anyone told me that we'd reach the final.

RE: The Scots, the book that I think I mentioned earlier in the thread is interesting, as the game in Scotland has a surprisingly long history.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I suspect they'll be an analysis of who did what nevertheless.
There's a couple of question marks still. Not least about the captain with the bat.
And Dayvo clearly isn't a big fan of Jordan!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yeah,but we know we're pish.
England Expects.
Are you kidding? England never expected this. It was heroic, and far beyond any pre-tournament expectations.

Whatever - for my sins I watched or listened to far too many matches - I for one have thoroughly enjoyed this incarnation of the T20 World Cup – both the women’s and men’s competitions – in both competitions the variety of the pitches lent itself to the games being often very different from match to match with different strategies being employed by the teams (almost like real cricket :smile:) and some very tight exciting finishes.

To my mind women’s cricket has improved both in the fitness and technical aspects since the last world cup – tho good big uns still beat good little uns – The England women’s team muddled their way through to the semi-finals with a mixture of sometimes poor performances – Having a professional England women’s team is a good step forward but until there are more opportunities in the women’s game there is a danger that The England team will be a closed shop and stagnate. The Australians and the West Indies were by far the standout teams and either team could have won the final – Windies were well deserved winners.

The mens competition started off very slow but it was good to see the non-full members getting a chance to compete (even Scotland :smile:) with Afghanistan bringing something special to the main competition. The Saffers seemed very subdued in the group stage and didn’t seem to be at the races after being beated by a good England batting performance. Australia were under par in their last group match and unlucky to meet Kohli in form. New Zealand as always brought innovation to the crease and were unlucky to come up against an England side in the semis that for once had all their ducks (the avian sort) in a row. India were flaky throughout and to some extent were lucky to get to the semis on the back of a brilliant performance by Kohli.

The final was brilliant - West Indies aided by some poor batting restricting England to a gimmee score. Then England coming back with an outrageous bowling selection in the second over. However, Samuels brilliant 85 and then when England thought they had cracked it - Braithwaites imperious hitting aided by Stokes headless bowling took West Indies over the line.

It was a fair result – The West Indies were the best team in the tournament and showed that they have talent throughout the whole team.

As to England I think did very well to get to the final – they are a good team but not a very good team – the likes of Bayliss and Farbrace they have to have a hard look at where they are going for the next T20WC in 2020 in Australia and an even harder look at who are going to be the key players in the home 2019 ODI World Cup – encouraging potential England players to play in the likes of the IPL and the Big Bash is a no brainer – however many of the players will need to improve their skills if they are going to get invited.

Anyway roll on the 19th May and the Sri Lankans at Headingly :smile:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The team of the tournament has been named;

http://www.icc-cricket.com/world-t2...-world-twenty20-teams-of-the-tournament-named

For those not wanting to click through;
The two teams are (in batting order):

Men
1. Jason Roy (England)
2. Quinton de Kock (South Africa, wicketkeeper)
3. Virat Kohli (India, captain)
4.Joe Root (England)
5. Jos Buttler (England)
6. Shane Watson (Australia)
7. Andre Russell (West Indies)
8. Mitchell Santner (New Zealand)
9. David Willey (England)
10.Samuel Badree (West Indies)
11. Ashish Nehra (India)
12th man. Mustafizur Rahman (Bangladesh)

Women
1. Suzie Bates (New Zealand)
2. Charlotte Edwards (England)
3. Meg Lanning (Australia)
4. Stafanie Taylor (West Indies, captain)
5. Sophie Devine (New Zealand)
6. Rachel Priest (New Zealand, wicketkeeper)
7. Deandra Dottin (West Indies)
8. Megan Schutt (Australia)
9. Sune Luus (South Africa)
10. Leigh Kasperek (New Zealand)
11. Anya Shrubsole (England)
12th player. Anam Amin (Pakistan)

Top Bottom