Tabata protocol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Bill Gates said:
OK so the protocol is 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest for 8 minutes. I still say that to go at max (if really at "max") effort for 20 seconds would need more than 10 seconds rest for repeat efforts. Some are taliking about doing this for 20 minutes or even an hour. Ridiculous! Can't be done.

This training is for your VO2max and IMO is best left until you've got some endurance miles under your belt.

max effort at which you can produce at the time.
I.e. not 1000Watts, then 1000 Watts the next effort. The amount of power would diminish, even though you are putting in your max effort.

darkstar

montage said:
max effort at which you can produce at the time.
I.e. not 1000Watts, then 1000 Watts the next effort. The amount of power would diminish, even though you are putting in your max effort.
Thats what i thought. Max effort is surely the maximum effort you are capable of producing at the time, which is obviously going to reduce over time.

Bill Gates

darkstar said:
Thats what i thought. Max effort is surely the maximum effort you are capable of producing at the time, which is obviously going to reduce over time.

Then it's not going to do you much good. Once the effort is unsustainable then pack in and go to bed. Training to exhaustion is not the way to progess. If you overdo it then that will wipe out several days training. There's always next time.

When I first start my sprint intervals I'll be lucky to complete one set of 5 before stopping. Then next time one set plus another two sprints and then the next time after that maybe 2 x sets and so on.

lukesdad

Not familiar with these sessions but dont you need to increase the recovery time after each 20 secs "Max" .

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
rich p said:
You only do it for 4 minutes after a 15 to 20 minute warm-up!
It's the max effort given your progressive tiredness.

So could you slot this in within a longer bike ride, basically a 5 minute bit in the middle somewhere? Would it be ok to still have a few miles to ride afterwards?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
MacB said:
So could you slot this in within a longer bike ride, basically a 5 minute bit in the middle somewhere? Would it be ok to still have a few miles to ride afterwards?

Yes, indeed. The 4 minute effort is after a suitable warm-up and after which you can continue on a normal session or ride.
It was highly recommended in Cyling Weekly in the autumn and is supposed to be applicable to other sports such as rowing and running.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
rich p said:
Yes, indeed. The 4 minute effort is after a suitable warm-up and after which you can continue on a normal session or ride.
It was highly recommended in Cyling Weekly in the autumn and is supposed to be applicable to other sports such as rowing and running.

The appeal for me would be the improved fat burning potential, I could do with it:blush:

I think some of the others on the thread are far more serious, something like this, 3 times a week, could work well for the likes of me.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
MacB said:
The appeal for me would be the improved fat burning potential, I could do with it:blush:

I think some of the others on the thread are far more serious, something like this, 3 times a week, could work well for the likes of me.

It might be hard to time it and find a road where you could safely do it! It's easy on a turbo.

lukesdad

How are you measuring max is this by HR or as hard as you can go or some other means?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
lukesdad said:
How are you measuring max is this by HR or as hard as you can go or some other means?

Just as hard as I can given progressive tiredness although I have a good idea from the computer. It gets to the point where I can't be arsed to look down though! It's possible to sustain something near max for such a short time

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:

You can't judge max efforts with HR as the heart rate will be lagging behind. It's either perceived effort or power. On a turbo you could you coud use a computer with a speed sensor to judge when the effort drops.

lukesdad

Bill Gates said:
You can't judge max efforts with HR as the heart rate will be lagging behind. It's either perceived effort or power. On a turbo you could you coud use a computer with a speed sensor to judge when the effort drops.

Thats what I thought.

lukesdad

Sorry. Maybe Im thick but I can t see the benefits. Certainly not in the weight loss dept. Unless its a boost to raise the effort for the rst of the session is it a time thing?

The only thing I do I can compare with is interval sprints on the road. Which are 20 secs. but I sure as hell need more than 10 secs to recover.

Top Bottom