Tabata protocol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did a search and only found an oblique reference to it on here.
I was recommended it some time ago and have started doing it once or twice a week on the turbo and I don't know if it lives up to the claims of being thre best training you'll ever do but I feel in pretty good shape for the time of the year. Could be the placebo effect or it could be kosher.

Anyone else have an opinion on its value?

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

davidg

my wife does tabata but with circuit type things at home.

It is high intensity interval training and it kills you! must be good for improving fitness, although not endurance

she does a 20 min workout 20 sec on 10 rest repeating 4-5 excercises...

darkstar

This is a method of high intensity interval training, i mentioned it's merits in a recent weight loss thread but found some people who didn't agree with me. I believe it is the best method for weight loss, i use the insanity workout regime fairly regularly when I'm cutting and find the results to be mind blowing. You meant to feel exhausted after each session, unable to carry on, then you know you've pushed yourself far enough. :sad:

darkstar

montage said:
only for 4 minutes?
Could incorporate it into another session I guess

It certainly needs to be longer than 4 minutes. Whenever i do a session it's usually an hour (including 10 minutes of stretching) couple of minutes at max effort followed but 30 seconds of rest and repeated over and over. It destroys you.

Bill Gates

darkstar said:
It certainly needs to be longer than 4 minutes. Whenever i do a session it's usually an hour (including 10 minutes of stretching) couple of minutes at max effort followed but 30 seconds of rest and repeated over and over. It destroys you.

Max effort if really "max" should not be sustainable beyond 20 seconds on a bike. I have used sprint intervals in the past when it realy was "max" efforts for 30 seconds on 30 seconds off in sets of 5 with one minute rest between sets. Stretching the effort from 20 seconds to 30 seconds definitely results in a loss of power and the last 10 seconds is a test of motivation.

The most I ever completed was 4 sets of 5 sprints. At the time I was winning open TT's fairly regularly so was at peak fitness.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If it's longer than 20 secs max and 10 secs rest then it's not the same thing. I have found it a great incentive to work intensely and it can of course be incorporated into a longer session.
I'm interested to find out from others whether it proved effective for them

Bill Gates

rich p said:
If it's longer than 20 secs max and 10 secs rest then it's not the same thing. I have found it a great incentive to work intensely and it can of course be incorporated into a longer session.
I'm interested to find out from others whether it proved effective for them

Well they aren't "max" efforts that's for sure. (BTW where did the 10 seconds rest come from?)

What's it done for you then? i.e results wise

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Bill Gates said:
Well they aren't "max" efforts that's for sure. (BTW where did the 10 seconds rest come from?)

What's it done for you then? i.e results wise

I don't get the first bit, sorry. They're max efforts fior me! The 10 seconds rest is the protocol.

Results? In terms of fitness I refer the honourable gentleman to my OP!

montage

God Almighty
I doubt they offer much more than any other high intensity interval training, but certainly looks to be an effective workout - especially if you are a gym rat

darkstar

Bill Gates said:
Max effort if really "max" should not be sustainable beyond 20 seconds on a bike. I have used sprint intervals in the past when it realy was "max" efforts for 30 seconds on 30 seconds off in sets of 5 with one minute rest between sets. Stretching the effort from 20 seconds to 30 seconds definitely results in a loss of power and the last 10 seconds is a test of motivation.

The most I ever completed was 4 sets of 5 sprints. At the time I was winning open TT's fairly regularly so was at peak fitness.
Forgot to mention, i don't do it on a bike! I do some sprint training but when it comes to interval training it's all floor based exercises (eg a cycle of squats, press ups, then straight to a running plank and repeat. You go as hard as you possibly can and recover for a short period of time.

Oh and btw 'max effort' mean, to mean going as fast/doing as many reps in a certain amount of time possible, the amount/speed you achieve has nothing to do with it as long as you are pushing as hard as you can.

Bill Gates

rich p said:
I don't get the first bit, sorry. They're max efforts fior me! The 10 seconds rest is the protocol.

Results? In terms of fitness I refer the honourable gentleman to my OP!

OK so the protocol is 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest for 8 minutes. I still say that to go at max (if really at "max") effort for 20 seconds would need more than 10 seconds rest for repeat efforts. Some are taliking about doing this for 20 minutes or even an hour. Ridiculous! Can't be done.

This training is for your VO2max and IMO is best left until you've got some endurance miles under your belt.

Bill Gates

darkstar said:
Forgot to mention, i don't do it on a bike! I do some sprint training but when it comes to interval training it's all floor based exercises (eg a cycle of squats, press ups, then straight to a running plank and repeat. You go as hard as you possibly can and recover for a short period of time.

Oh and btw 'max effort' mean, to mean going as fast/doing as many reps in a certain amount of time possible, the amount/speed you achieve has nothing to do with it as long as you are pushing as hard as you can.

Max efforts on a bike can be sustained for longer periods than off the bike due to the body weight being supported. What you describe is circuit training and is not "tabata protocol" type training. Your definition of max is probably nearer 85% actual max and will be probably training your LT.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Bill Gates said:
OK so the protocol is 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest for 8 minutes. I still say that to go at max (if really at "max") effort for 20 seconds would need more than 10 seconds rest for repeat efforts. Some are taliking about doing this for 20 minutes or even an hour. Ridiculous! Can't be done.

This training is for your VO2max and IMO is best left until you've got some endurance miles under your belt.

You only do it for 4 minutes after a 15 to 20 minute warm-up!
It's the max effort given your progressive tiredness.

darkstar

Bill Gates said:
Max efforts on a bike can be sustained for longer periods than off the bike due to the body weight being supported. What you describe is circuit training and is not "tabata protocol" type training. Your definition of max is probably nearer 85% actual max and will be probably training your LT.
Good point, i didn't distinguish the difference between the two! It's feel like max effort at the time though! Had a session today and felt dead afterwards (may have something to do with the 20 mile run yesterday, think overtraining may be becoming a problem)

Top Bottom