Tackling saddle sores

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Last August I began a thread about a sore spot on my perineum, and received useful advice from Blonde and others.

Despite investing in new Endura shorts and various creams the spot has got much worse and my doctor, who also happens to be a keen cyclist, has confirmed that it is a full blown saddle sore (as Blonde suspected) which is now mildly infected.

Has anyone got any advice on what I can do to get rid of the saddle sore. For the last two weeks I have confined my cycling to really short trips around town but if anything the saddle sore seems to have got worse over that period. Do I need to stop cycling altogether to get rid of it.

Blonde also suggested that I invest in a leather saddle from MCM which basically has a slot cut out in the leather. I am now seriously considering doing so, but would like to know whether any male members of the forum have tried them out.

Finally I am puzzled why I should have started developing saddle sores now. I have cycled for years and have never suffered from anything more than some mild chafing despite wearing rubbish shorts when I was much younger. Could it be age related?

cyclebum

Good old fashoined cotton undies, and what about sudocreme(works well on nappy rash anyway;))

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
I always wear cotton undies and have been applying sudocreme liberally for the past four weeks - but no improvement:sad:

There's some sort of patches reviewed in the latest Cycling Plus. I shall read it and get back to you (the whole concept was too wince-making for me to read over breakfast)

Sorry for the delay - internet playing up at home - they are there. Just a matter of me writing down the details to bring to work!

Found it: It's called ReSkin Bikepatch - www.bioracer.com

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
The doctor's advice was not to cycle until it went away, but that seems to be taking a long time.

Abitrary

I went to my doctors once with an ingrown toenail, telling him to sort it out because I was going on a cycle tour a day later.

He said 'No!!!! You can't go'

There was a tense 2 or 3 seconds whilst I stared at him, and realised he was joking.

Shagging national health. If I'd have the time I'd have used my BUPA

Top Bottom