Tacx Antares Professional Training Rollers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcb2080

Hi, I am thinking of buying the above so that I can get some cycling done during the winter as I will not be able to get out much in east kilbride (we can get snow during the summer here :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I have a hybrid with 26 inch wheels with schwalbe marathon supreme tyres (sort of slicks) Would the bike wheels fit a roller, or is a roller set up for 700 wheels? Can you adjust the fit on the roller to accommodate both sizes?

Also are the schwalbe tyres ok for a roller or would I need proper slicks or turbo trainer tyres on the back and front of the bike?

Thanks

Mark

Young Un

The rollers are adjustable for and aft allowing you to get the right fit on your bike so there is nothing to worry about there. Your tyres should be fine, but you may want to change them over to normal slicks to reduce vibrations, decrease the sound generated, and to increase the life of your current tyres.

Steve

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Cheers for the reply

I have gone ahead and ordered the rollers.

I am now looking for a very cheap set of slicks as they will be purely for the rollers.

As you say, my marathon supreme's cost about £60 so I would imagine I could get a set of slicks for about £20.

Any suggestion for 26 x 1.5 - 26 x 2.0 slicks?

Thanks again

Bill Gates

Yeah. All rollers are adjustable for different wheelbases. The single roller for the front wheel should be positioned so that the front wheel spindle is is 2 to 3 inches behind the centre of the roller for best stability. There will be instructions with the rollers.

Bill Gates

Bill Gates said:
Yeah. All rollers are adjustable for different wheelbases. The single roller for the front wheel should be positioned so that the front wheel spindle is is 2 to 3 inches behind the centre of the roller for best stability. There will be instructions with the rollers.

Whoops got that wrong.

When you're looking at the front wheel from sitting on the saddle it looks further than it is. Just measured the distance and it is less than 1.5 inches and if anything I would say the best position is to adjust the rollers so that the front wheel spindle is about 1 inch back from the centre of the roller.

Apologies.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Just tried the rollers there, took about 10 minutes to feel comfortable on them.

Done a 25 minute workout just to see what it felt like and I quite like them.

Going to try for about an hour tomorrow.

For losing weight is it better to do say 20 - 30 short 2-3 minute bursts of 18-20mph rather than just a 60 minute cycle at about 12mph?

Cheers

Young Un

mcb2080 said:
Just tried the rollers there, took about 10 minutes to feel comfortable on them.

Done a 25 minute workout just to see what it felt like and I quite like them.

Going to try for about an hour tomorrow.

For losing weight is it better to do say 20 - 30 short 2-3 minute bursts of 18-20mph rather than just a 60 minute cycle at about 12mph?

Cheers

Well, to loose weight you want to be aiming for staying in 60-65% of your max heart rate, so initially it may be better to spend a long time just plodding along. However, that is not saying that the short burst won't make you loose weight, they will, and they will make you fitter and a better cyclist to boot!

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Young Un said:
Well, to loose weight you want to be aiming for staying in 60-65% of your max heart rate, so initially it may be better to spend a long time just plodding along. However, that is not saying that the short burst won't make you loose weight, they will, and they will make you fitter and a better cyclist to boot!

Thanks for the reply Young Un, I am going to work out what 60-65% of my max heart rate is.

I have a heart rate monitor strap and watch that lets you set it to certain parameters so that I can keep it within the 60-65%

Thanks again

Young Un

No problemo. I would say it would be quite good to do a session of each - so a session of weight loss, and then later in the week, a session of fitness, perhaps doing some 4 minute efforts, with a 4 minute rest. $ minutes because this is where you start to work at lactate threshhold, increasing your fitness I believe.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

Young Un said:
No problemo. I would say it would be quite good to do a session of each - so a session of weight loss, and then later in the week, a session of fitness, perhaps doing some 4 minute efforts, with a 4 minute rest. $ minutes because this is where you start to work at lactate threshhold, increasing your fitness I believe.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips, I am going to look for some training plans.:biggrin:

aka0019

I just got some of these for xmas :biggrin: I love them! Took me a while to get the hang of them but fine on them now. I haven't been able to see my speed as using my winter bike which hasn't got a speedo. Done an hour though which felt like a decent workout. Only thing is you can't go mad on them like i'd imagine you could on a turbo.

Anyway, let me know if you find any decent training plans. Enjoy :biggrin:

Andrew

OP
OP
mcb2080

mcb2080

aka0019 said:
I just got some of these for xmas :biggrin: I love them! Took me a while to get the hang of them but fine on them now. I haven't been able to see my speed as using my winter bike which hasn't got a speedo. Done an hour though which felt like a decent workout. Only thing is you can't go mad on them like i'd imagine you could on a turbo.

Anyway, let me know if you find any decent training plans. Enjoy :biggrin:

Andrew

No problem Andrew, I will let you know if I find anything decent, and all the best with the rollers.

I am going to buy an Oscillating Fan tomorrow to keep cool as the sweat just stays on you due to there being no wind, seen a decent one in comet for £15
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/163783/PROLINE-PSF160

Top Bottom