Tacx crank magnet required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mordenmarauder

Just picked up a Tacx Flow i-Magic T1901 and the crank magnet is missing. Been searching for a replacement - part no. T1603 - without success. Probably because it is a few years old, spares aren't available. I was wondering whether I could replace it with bike computer magnet, the sort that fix to the spokes. Would this work or are there technical reasons stopping it working? I'm no engineer. Any feedback welcomed

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ive had a look at the T1603 and it looks like a big magnet that is encased in a big peice of plastic. Nothing particularly complicated or proprietary.

If you wanted to be cheap you could measure the width of your cranks then buy a big flat neodymium magnet from amazon and stick it on using some rubber glue/sealent, blutack or anything that can be scraped off when the bike is no longer on the trainer.

On the other hand one of these crank magnets from Bontrager should do...

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...s/bontrager-9-mm-cadence-band-magnet/p/28393/

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...s/bontrager-4-mm-cadence-band-magnet/p/28394/

It will work so long as its inline/parallel with the cadence sensor as the crank rotates, that Im assuming is mounted on your chainstay .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use neodymium magnets, but pop them on my crank spindle on the inside of the crank. On one crank, the spindle is recessed, so the magnet just sits in the recess with no glue (axels are steel), and on another, it's slightly proud, so I use some superglue to ensure it doesn't move. They work better than traditional magnets as they are much stronger and don't need to be as close to the sensors.

Any magnet will do. As mentioned Neodymium are stronger and I found they worked with my pedal axle too.

OP
OP
M

Mordenmarauder

Thanks guys for all this advice. I will measure the crank and order accordingly. There are heaps of options on Ebay for a few £££s. I'll the outcome in due course

Top Bottom