Tacx Neo Bike Smart indoor trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Looking at buying one of these, has anyone tried it or owns one that can give some real world thoughts?

Capture.PNG

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have one - what do you want to know specifically? The Facebook Forum is pretty good for details and troubleshooting. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1097206820439128/
Overall a significant improvement on my Tacx Neo non-bike trainer.

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Hi,

thanks for the reply. Not on FB so can't see that link however just looking for some real world thoughts on it.

Glad you bought it?
Worth the investment?
Any obvious negatives that should be considered before purchase?

bridgy

Legendary Member
Looking at buying one of these, has anyone tried it or owns one that can give some real world thoughts?

View attachment 644939

I have one, having upgraded from a Neo trainer a couple of months ago.

I'm really happy with it, and much prefer it to the old bike + trainer setup. It's really comfortable, very stable and solid feeling, and very smooth. The electronic virtual gears are excellent.

Really happy I went for it - no regrets at all and I enjoy riding and racing on Zwift more than before

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
I have one, having upgraded from a Neo trainer a couple of months ago.

I'm really happy with it, and much prefer it to the old bike + trainer setup. It's really comfortable, very stable and solid feeling, and very smooth. The electronic virtual gears are excellent.

Really happy I went for it - no regrets at all and I enjoy riding and racing on Zwift more than before

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate you taking the time.

Venod

Eh up
I have one, having upgraded from a Neo trainer a couple of months ago

I am still on a MK 1 Neo, which is still working fine, but I was thinking of upgrading to the bike.

Are they widely available ?

Do you use it with a rocker plate?

Apologies to the OP for butting in but all answers are useful.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Hi,

thanks for the reply. Not on FB so can't see that link however just looking for some real world thoughts on it.

Glad you bought it?
Worth the investment?
Any obvious negatives that should be considered before purchase?

Very much glad I bought it and for me it was worth the investment, but only you can answer that. Fundamentally it functions very similarly to a Neo plus your own bike. The reason I switched to it was because I was fed up moving my bikes on and off and then my wife expressed an interest in using the trainer too. Swapping around 3 bikes with different axle standards would have been a total pain in the bum.
The bonus is that it is significantly quieter, smother and should require zero maintenance. Adjusting between users is very easy and quick.
The negatives - it is heavy so be careful if you need to move it around a lot. It can be a struggle to fit tri bars if you need them. There are quite a few reports about the crank coming loose, I would suggest checking the torque on the bolts when it arrives. Finally, the fans are okay, but you will find that they are probably not sufficient on their own. Finally - I would check that your body type actually fits, if you are short 5'2" or below you might find it too big. In addition, if you have chunky thighs or calves you might find that you touch the seatpost area on every revolution, I have fitted pedal extenders to get around this issue as I have sprinters thighs.

My particular bike arrived direct from Garmin/Tacx damaged. The rail that the saddle connects to was slightly bent and one fan was broken, it took about a week for the replacement parts to arrive, but there was not too much fuss when I provided photos/videos of the issue.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am still on an MK 1 Neo, which is still working fine, but I was thinking of upgrading to the bike.

I went from Mk 1 Neo to bike - a big improvement for me. Yes, they are widely available, the price varies, but seems to have gone up quite a bit in the last 6 months back to RRP. I get a pretty good discount from Garmin/Tacx and the price to me is £230 more than I paid in October. I did use mine with a rocker plate, but have now stopped as I have moved the bike into my house and don't do really long rides on it, strangely I find it more comfortable than my road bike on the Neo 1.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I am still on an MK 1 Neo, which is still working fine, but I was thinking of upgrading to the bike.

I had no problem getting mine direct from Garmin - it arrived a couple of days after ordering. Discount codes are available if you look around.

I don't use a rocker plate. Personally I actually really like how solid and stationary the whole thing is, but each to their own.

I agree with Milkfloat in that I find it more comfortable to ride than my bike on the Neo 1. You can adjust the sizing to match your road bike, or - like me - have it set up slightly differently if that's more comfortable for indoor riding.

A note on delivery - the delivery guy needed help getting it off the van as it weighs around 60kg and obviously they didn't plan well for that! I have heard the same from others with their delivery. So you might want to try and make sure you're at home for the expected delivery time.

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Very much glad I bought it and for me it was worth the investment, but only you can answer that. Fundamentally it functions very similarly to a Neo plus your own bike. The reason I switched to it was because I was fed up moving my bikes on and off and then my wife expressed an interest in using the trainer too. Swapping around 3 bikes with different axle standards would have been a total pain in the bum.
The bonus is that it is significantly quieter, smother and should require zero maintenance. Adjusting between users is very easy and quick.
The negatives - it is heavy so be careful if you need to move it around a lot. It can be a struggle to fit tri bars if you need them. There are quite a few reports about the crank coming loose, I would suggest checking the torque on the bolts when it arrives. Finally, the fans are okay, but you will find that they are probably not sufficient on their own. Finally - I would check that your body type actually fits, if you are short 5'2" or below you might find it too big. In addition, if you have chunky thighs or calves you might find that you touch the seatpost area on every revolution, I have fitted pedal extenders to get around this issue as I have sprinters thighs.

My particular bike arrived direct from Garmin/Tacx damaged. The rail that the saddle connects to was slightly bent and one fan was broken, it took about a week for the replacement parts to arrive, but there was not too much fuss when I provided photos/videos of the issue.

Hi,

Main reason I'm looking at this is my GF wants to use the set up I currently have (tacx vortex T2180) with my bike on it and the constant adjustment is a pain.

Would defo check all the torque settings when it first arrived and at 6"2 happy that it would fit alright.

Thanks for taking the time to replay

Top Bottom