Tacx Sirius Gel or Minoura Hypermag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

Tacx Sirius Gel or Minoura Hypermag?

I need a quiet turbo trainer as I live in a maisonette and don't want to p*ss the neighbours off.

The above two both appeal to me.
I have however found conflicting info on the Tacx model.

Wiggle, Evans and Chain reaction give info on it and mention a 1kg flywheel.
PBK and Tacx own website say that it's a 2kg flywheel.

Does anyone know which is correct?
If anyone has either of these machines can you kindly let me know your thoughts on them.

Much appreciated.

Steve

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Well...I have just placed my order for a Tacx Sirius gel trainer.
£99.99 from JE James Cycles. Free postage.
Wiggle had none in stock...neither did Chain reaction....but JE James did....and they were equally the cheapest. Plus it's the 2008 model with 2kg flywheel.;)

When I get it I'll be hooking up my MTB on slicks until I can order my new wheels at the end of March for my road bike.

I'll post up my verdict on it if anyone is at all interested.

Will1985

Über Member
Did you get a Skyliner to go with it, or are you going to use the yellow pages? Didn't realise this year's model is heavier....I thought the Sirius I got last Christmas was heavy enough!

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Nah...I use a book at the moment.

As I live in a Maisonette I am unable to use it until I get a training matt to absorb the sound....it resonates too much.
It is quiet.....more so than my mates Tacx Swing....but the resonance travels too much.

Hopefully when I get paid in Feb I'll get the matt and a turbo trainer tyre
then it will be much quieter.:biggrin:

Mind you...when the neighbours downstairs go out I'll use it as it is.:biggrin:

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Luckily my mate has carpet off cuts and he said I could use then for my turbo.....:biggrin:
Hopefully that should do it.:biggrin:
Looks like naff weather for the weekend.....so hopefully get on the turbo then after I can collect the carpet.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Dave5N said:
Decathlon do mats dirt cheap.

Cheers for that.
:sad:

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Had a good 50+ min workout on it this morning.....works very well....I like the flex of the frame giving that added comfort.
The Sirius gel is quiet indeed compared to most turbos. The Hypermag may be just a tad quieter but once I get a mat down and the trainer tyre on I reckon I'll be able to cycle at 2 in the morning without disturbing the neighbours. :biggrin:
At £99.99 with free postage from JE james it was a bargain......plus you get the lifetime warranty......whereas the Hypermag gets 5 years.

Top Bottom