1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tagalong or Trailgator

Discussion in 'Family and Recreational Cycling' started by ianrauk, 25 Aug 2016.

1. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Hey CC peeps. I'm thinking of getting one of the above. What is the collective thinking as to which is best?
    Little H is a small 6½ yo. With the Tagalong it does mean a bigger expense rather then the Trailgator which is cheaper and would mean we utilise his current bike (Raleigh Zero 20)

Thoughts and experiences of both to help me make up my mind much appreciated.

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

A tagalong is a bit more stable than a Trailgator, but you're stuck with it.

We had both. I preferred the Trailgator because you can switch between them riding their bike and being towed.

3. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One.....

My thoughts, and I'd point out that I have used neither, is to go with the Trailgator, simply because it allows bike changes etc either for other kids, or as Little H grows if needed. Easier to store too.

ianrauk likes this.
  4. ianrauk

This was one of my reasons for getting a Trailgator Paul.
    How well do they store on an adults bike?

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Unless they've changed it, it is a bit Heath Robinson. The one we had (10 years ago) had a bracket that slots onto the rear axle between the frame and the QR, and the end of the gator clips into this. Sticks out a bit but doesn't get in the way of anything.

ianrauk likes this.
  6. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

...like this....

Trail%2BGator4C.jpg

ianrauk likes this.
  7. subaqua

subaqua Guru

Had one and worked well.

kids loved it , the stabilisers came off about an hour after this pic was taken DSC04247.jpg

Mister Paul and ianrauk like this.
  8. Crackle

Crackle Pah

Two Trailgators here, once. They are the most flexible but the caveat is they have to fit the towed kids bike well otherwise the bike can lean.

9. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

I did London to Cambridge with a tag along and found it really stable, But i would think the trail gator is probably a good idea.
    tagalong.jpg

10. I used a Trailgator for my son about 14 years ago. Very flexible option, as already stated, although flexibility is the key phrase, as the combined unit can roll a lot if the child decides to lean over. Once you've impressed on them not to do anything daft, it's ok. Just have to anticipate corners, as you're a very long vehicle. When folded away, it wasn't in the way of you cycling.

11. ianrauk

Cheers @Flying Dodo I used to use a trailer anyway so used to long bike cornering.

12. Thinking about it @ianrauk , I may still have all the bits for my Trailgator - I'll have a rummage in the next few days and let you know.

13. Crackle

Crackle Pah

Looking at the Zero20 I think the trailgator bracket should fit it well

Edit: Actually the fat tubes might be a problem if the bracket doesn't go top and bottom of the headtube as there's no space in the middle for it. Definitely check that before purchase.

Trailgator says: Tow bar receiver fits child bikes with head tubes up to 45mm (1.77") wide in diameter and expans for bolting distance of 105mm (4.1") for top and bottom U-bolt spacing.

Here's the manual:-
    http://www.trail-gator.com/pdf/tow_bar_manual_3-28-08.pdf

Last edited: 25 Aug 2016
  14. ianrauk

@Flying Dodo Cheers Ad. Really appreciated.

@Crackle, cheers for the information, I'll have a check tonight.

15. ianrauk

Actually. It's the Zero 16 that Little H has. Will be upgrading to a 20 next year.

upload_2016-8-25_14-28-5.png