Tagalong or Trailgator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hey CC peeps. I'm thinking of getting one of the above. What is the collective thinking as to which is best?
Little H is a small 6½ yo. With the Tagalong it does mean a bigger expense rather then the Trailgator which is cheaper and would mean we utilise his current bike (Raleigh Zero 20)

Thoughts and experiences of both to help me make up my mind much appreciated.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My thoughts, and I'd point out that I have used neither, is to go with the Trailgator, simply because it allows bike changes etc either for other kids, or as Little H grows if needed. Easier to store too.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 4434162, member: 45"]Trailgator because you can switch between them riding their bike and being towed.[/QUOTE]

This was one of my reasons for getting a Trailgator Paul.
How well do they store on an adults bike?

subaqua

What’s the point
Had one and worked well.

kids loved it , the stabilisers came off about an hour after this pic was taken
DSC04247.jpg

Two Trailgators here, once. They are the most flexible but the caveat is they have to fit the towed kids bike well otherwise the bike can lean.

I used a Trailgator for my son about 14 years ago. Very flexible option, as already stated, although flexibility is the key phrase, as the combined unit can roll a lot if the child decides to lean over. Once you've impressed on them not to do anything daft, it's ok. Just have to anticipate corners, as you're a very long vehicle. When folded away, it wasn't in the way of you cycling.

Thinking about it @ianrauk , I may still have all the bits for my Trailgator - I'll have a rummage in the next few days and let you know.

Looking at the Zero20 I think the trailgator bracket should fit it well

Edit: Actually the fat tubes might be a problem if the bracket doesn't go top and bottom of the headtube as there's no space in the middle for it. Definitely check that before purchase.

Trailgator says: Tow bar receiver fits child bikes with head tubes up to 45mm (1.77") wide in diameter and expans for bolting distance of 105mm (4.1") for top and bottom U-bolt spacing.

Here's the manual:-
http://www.trail-gator.com/pdf/tow_bar_manual_3-28-08.pdf

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've bought one on eBay for my five year olds bike, but never used it. The problem is she has a cantilever brake on the front and the cable and straddle wire get in the way of the trailgator bracket. I was pondering changing her brakes to v brakes to get around the problem, but I haven't got round to it yet.

To be honest she's regularly riding up to 6km with no issues, so I haven't had the motivation to do so yet!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have used one with two kids. Be prepared to damage the head tube, because you need to get the bracket really, really tight. You have have to get creative in mounting that bracket on the bike shown given that there is no space where the top and down tube meet. Despite the issues, they get a big thumbs up from me as you can start your kid off cycling normally, then rescue them when they get tired or you get to bits you want to be in control.

Top Bottom