"Take a primary" - jargonbustin' plz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alasdairgf

Seen the phrase "to take a primary" a couple of times now, but can't figure it out. Seems to be in the context of road riding - can someone clarify? Thanks!

At a shot, I think it's a primary position in the road. So the middle, or a position that, in theory, makes overtaking impossible and puts yourself in a safer position.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
It comes from the bible of road riding - Cycle Craft :laugh: - and is the position in the middle of the lane, where you are 'in control' of the lane;
'Secondary' is a bit closer to the kerb - about where the nearside tyres of a car run.

Cycle Craft is well worth a read/purchase if you are unsure about riding on the mean streets of 21st century Britain :laugh:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Primary and Secondary are terms which come from Cyclecraft, the "Primary riding position" means riding in the centre of the lane in which you are travelling. The Secondary or Standard riding position means that you ride where the near side wheel track of a motor vehicle would be. These positions are used to increase your margin of safety. Good road positioning is not about keeping out of the way of other traffic as much as possible. Drivers give the most attention to the part of the road where there is the most risk to themselves, this is the zone of maximum surveillance, outside this area you are far less likely to be seen. SO the riding in this area is the safest place to be.

jimboalee

It DOESN'T mean " the 'natural' position to ride along", nor does it mean "the 'usual' position to ride along".

It means "The position where 'single file' is the only way to progress" whatever the width of the vehicle.

Some motorists get confused and consider it "road-hogging", as they think an overtake would be possible if the narrow vehicle moved to their 'usual' position on the carriageway.

The opposition to the 'take primary' piece of advise is centred around 'slow vehicle' courtesy where holding up three or more vehicles is 'obstruction' and the slow vehicle is obliged to pull over and give way to the larger, faster vehicles.

Before 'taking primary' remember, - if the NARROW and slow vehicle is less than 1 metre wide and keeps within 1 metre of the curb, the 'courtesy' rule is waivered.

On carriageway lanes of 3.5m width and there is a HGV following who is having difficulty passing, you have to make up your own mind whether you are holding up the traffic or not.

Helly79

Good book cyclecraft reading it now, great tips.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm guessing at lots of shi*e

I think you're being a little mean there Mike. Jimbo's comments are usually valid. My point was that they're invariably long and deep so to rack up 5k posts he must spend all his time in front of a screen.

jimboalee

Moodyman said:
I'm guessing at lots of shi*e

I think you're being a little mean there Mike. Jimbo's comments are usually valid. My point was that they're invariably long and deep so to rack up 5k posts he must spend all his time in front of a screen.

I dictate my posts to my secretary speed typist.

Mike!

Guru
jimboalee said:
C'mon Mike!, say something astonishingly outstanding about cycling that none of us here have heared before.

Just getting my own back for a dubious post in one of my threads, no harm done :laugh:

Top Bottom