Taken out by WVM, and not to dinner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
it's not black and whit felixstow, tend, indicate, are words that suggest trends in things

of course people with all the gear can ride like idiots and of course some without high viz and helmets can be excellent riders, but all else being equal I'd expect those without helmets and hi viz (and lights) to be the more crappy careless riders

Maz

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Irrespective of my stance on the helmet debate I regually see the same commuter wearing a helmet, head to toe in high viz, 3 rear lights riding on the pavement and crossing against the phase at traffic lights.
Have you been spying on me?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Many companys self insure up to a particular level of claims. My last company ran a big fleet and paid out to individuals when a vehicle of ours damaged a third party's. So the company's offer is not unusual.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I phoned the Driver's Boss yesterday and gave him the news re: costs - there was a stunned silence and he's now checking with his insurance company to see what the best (read cheapest) route for him is - presumably taking into account increased premiums etc.

I quoted him for my clothing and computer which were damaged, and the reapir bill for the bike (which came in at £171 and shrapnel by itself ;))

I also added an amount which I described to him as a 'Goodwill gesture' on their part for my pain/suffering. I also mentioned that the lack of nearside mirror was being looked into by the Police so I didn't look like I was trying to sneakily get them involved.

I'll ring him tomorrow morning to see what he's decided.

Regardless of all this I think I may join the CTC/British Cycling anyway, always good to have *some* protection for the future.

Tynan

Veteran
doesn't matter, it's well worth trying and then go on with a regular claim if the bloke declines to settle

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
He got away lightly 171 plus a little bit.....doesn't take long for damage to a bike to be big bucks especially when the LBS may need paying for labour...... that's cheap.

People just think bikes cost about a hundred quid......

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Just tell him he's lucky it wasn't your £2k bike....

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
It's £171 for the bike, but then I have my clothing and computer and my suggested 'Goodwill gesture'. The clothing/computer is more than the bike repairs.

I'm kinda hoping that the fact that it was an unroadworthy vehicle and the fact that the driver was attempting an illegal move without indication/warning/sufficient checking may help him make his decision to pay out quickly rather than the long winded affair with insurance.

His insurance may suggest this as well as they'll probably be more aware of how much it'll cost them in the long run.

Top Bottom