Taking bikes of French trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ccf

I am trying to confirm whether you can take a bike on a train from Paris to Cherbourg. The SNCF website implies you can't (unless it's boxed) but the Captain train website says you can.

Has anyone made this journey with a bike and/or experienced using the Captain train website?

Many thanks

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is it a TGV or non-TGV?
My experience is that bikes are allowed on some TGV routes (those served by older style trains mainly), but the newer TGV's do not have bike spaces. Presumably if SNCF implies that they cannot be taken unless boxed, then that is the case. I have never had a problem taking a bike on a train in France if it is a non TGV train. Much slower, but still a great service.

Edit.... Just looked on the SNCF website and it appears that route is served by Corail Intercités, so not a TGV.. They go from Paris St. Lazare and it takes about 3 hours. Saw no mention of no bikes other than the general advice that "some services might require you to pre-book" (which probably refers to those TGV services which take bikes).

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ccf

I think it's a SNCF intercities, that's what it seems to imply when you try and book tickets.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Do they have a customer service number you can ring? I always find it a better way than guessing. Things can change from when other people used it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks for checking, so in your experience it should be ok?
In MY experience, yes. But as SiD says, things can change so best to confirm with SNCF.. The French are generally much more pro-cycle than here in the UK, and more laid back about enforcing regulations where they do exist (I was once told by SNCF station staff to take my bike on a non cycle friendly TGV from Angers to St. Malo and no-one batted an eye). Just beware of strikes on the railway and ferries. I got caught out 2 years ago.
If a car driver toots their horn at you because you are crawling up a hill in France, it is meant as encouragement rather than the British "WTF are you doing on MY road" attitude. Enjoy France!

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
No advice on the bikes, but a very big thumbs-up for Captain Train generally.

If you've been on a busy TGV in 2nd Class you'll know why they don't like bikes - the carriages are woefully short of luggage space. I'd never bank on squeezing a bike on in those circumstances that hadn't been pre-booked in some way.

Simon_m

Guru
I am trying to confirm whether you can take a bike on a train from Paris to Cherbourg. The SNCF website implies you can't (unless it's boxed) but the Captain train website says you can.

Has anyone made this journey with a bike and/or experienced using the Captain train website?

Many thanks

Hi there, I wrote a long article last month about this

Top Bottom