taking care of my new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
with my new bike costing more than my last car what maintance and cleaning do you do after each ride or each week etc. my old bike only got attention when it broke:ohmy:

defy-one

Baby wet wipes are great for wiping your bike down after a ride. Clean & lubricate the chain every 2 months or if the bike gets wet. Check your tyres regularly for flints in the tyres and keep the pressure up between 90-120 psi. Everyone has a preference. A good floor standing pump with a pressure guage is invaluable

snorri

Legendary Member
Use it regularly, keep the tyres inflated hard and all moving parts lubricated (except for sealed bearings) enjoy it for what it is and don't go overboard with the cleaning, it's not a mantle-piece ornament.:smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Any chance you can expand on this? :smile:

I was thinking about the sealed type of bottom bracket bearing, it would not be good to try and put oil in there, even the wheel bearings don't need regular lubrication between servicing intervals when they may be stripped down, cleaned and regreased.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't try and lube wheel or BB bearings with oil. All it'll do us flush out the grease. All you need do is strip, clean and re-lube them periodically. Even a lot of ' sealed' bearings can be dismantled.

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
would you recommend the use of a water repellent like wd40 on the moving parts

edit
ps

when youve been out in the rain for example

As well, or instead of helicopter tape, you can now get THESE as well that work very well and don't need cutting, trimming, sticking to the frame :thumbsup:

PS: Decathlon do the same things for £2.99 for 4, but you have to slit them to fit them as the Decathlon ones are an uncut tube, unless you remove the cables and slide them into place.

Drago

Legendary Member
would you recommend the use of a water repellent like wd40 on the moving parts

edit
ps

when youve been out in the rain for example
Dont let WD40 near your bike. It'll attack and rot rubber components such as bearing seals, fork seals etc. GT, or even better, Rock Oil maintenance spray are much more effective.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As well, or instead of helicopter tape, you can now get THESE as well that work very well and don't need cutting, trimming, sticking to the frame :thumbsup:

PS: Decathlon do the same things for £2.99 for 4, but you have to slit them to fit them as the Decathlon ones are an uncut tube, unless you remove the cables and slide them into place.

Stick with helicopter tape those rubbery things slip around and fall off quite quickly.

Stick with helicopter tape those rubbery things slip around and fall off quite quickly.
Yeah I did lose one quite quickly TBH, they are now stuck on and not falling anywhere though:thumbsup:

My mates Scott F01L came with Scott ones as standard, and while they are split ones that fit over the cables, he's had no issues with his.

The Decathlon ones are designed as a tube to be slid onto the cable as opposed to over it as I have, so I can't complain that I slit them and lost one can I?

These do look much neater than frame tape though IMO.

MGmech

Use it regularly, keep the tyres inflated hard and all moving parts lubricated (except for sealed bearings) enjoy it for what it is and don't go overboard with the cleaning, it's not a mantle-piece ornament.:smile:

I agree, cleaning it regularly is not that necessary. Once every couple of months I suppose, making sure it's well oiled and keeping on top of maintenance issues is more important

mip

Excuse my ignorance.

How often should I lube my bike?
What parts should I lube and how do I lube them?
What lube should I use?

Any help appreciated.

Nebulous

Guru
Yeah I did lose one quite quickly TBH, they are now stuck on and not falling anywhere though:thumbsup:

My mates Scott F01L came with Scott ones as standard, and while they are split ones that fit over the cables, he's had no issues with his.

The Decathlon ones are designed as a tube to be slid onto the cable as opposed to over it as I have, so I can't complain that I slit them and lost one can I?

These do look much neater than frame tape though IMO.

They don't really work. I got two free with a Jagwire racer kit, and they worked to some extent, but still caused some rub. I landed up with Helicopter tape as well.

Top Bottom