taking care of my new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Excuse my ignorance.

How often should I lube my bike?
What parts should I lube and how do I lube them?
What lube should I use?

Any help appreciated.

The chain is the bit that needs most frequent lubrication. How frequently depends on the type of lube you use and the conditions in which you have been riding.
So called "wet lubes" last longer on the chain but tend to attract more dirt, as do things like 3 in 1.
"Dry Lubes" pick up less dirt, but need renewing more frequently.
My personal preference is ProGold which is supposed to wash the dirt off as it lubricates. I wipe the chain down after every ride and lube (using the "mickle method") at least every 200 miles - more often if it's been ridden in the rain. It's expensive, but works well and is thin enough to also be used to drizzle a little bit down the inside of brake cables if they get sticky.
On a lot of decent quality modern bikes just about every other moving part is sealed bearings so they tend to be replaced rather than re-lubed.

Once a year take the seat post out of the frame, wipe it down, put some grease on, put it back in.

mip

The chain is the bit that needs most frequent lubrication. How frequently depends on the type of lube you use and the conditions in which you have been riding.
So called "wet lubes" last longer on the chain but tend to attract more dirt, as do things like 3 in 1.
"Dry Lubes" pick up less dirt, but need renewing more frequently.
My personal preference is ProGold which is supposed to wash the dirt off as it lubricates. I wipe the chain down after every ride and lube (using the "mickle method") at least every 200 miles - more often if it's been ridden in the rain. It's expensive, but works well and is thin enough to also be used to drizzle a little bit down the inside of brake cables if they get sticky.
On a lot of decent quality modern bikes just about every other moving part is sealed bearings so they tend to be replaced rather than re-lubed.

Once a year take the seat post out of the frame, wipe it down, put some grease on, put it back in.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

zeb

You can also use a polish for your frame and fork. I use the Finish Line Showroom polish. It contains Teflon, which facilitates subsequent cleaning, make it shine and it smells good!

sabian92

Über Member
Baby wet wipes are great for wiping your bike down after a ride. Clean & lubricate the chain every 2 months or if the bike gets wet. Check your tyres regularly for flints in the tyres and keep the pressure up between 90-120 psi. Everyone has a preference. A good floor standing pump with a pressure guage is invaluable

2 MONTHS?

You need to be doing it once a week, more if it's raining or it's during the colder months as more stuff gets on the chain.

You need some degreaser and a chain cleaner (I use white spirit, not the best but it's cheapest by several quid), and something to lube with. I use Finish Line Wet (little green bottle).

U

User6179

2 MONTHS?

You need to be doing it once a week, more if it's raining or it's during the colder months as more stuff gets on the chain.

You need some degreaser and a chain cleaner (I use white spirit, not the best but it's cheapest by several quid), and something to lube with. I use Finish Line Wet (little green bottle).

Can i ask what sort of milage you get out your chain and cassette , just that im quite lazy when it comes to chain maintanence but they still seem to last me longer than anyone I know.

sabian92

Über Member
Can i ask what sort of milage you get out your chain and cassette , just that im quite lazy when it comes to chain maintanence but they still seem to last me longer than anyone I know.

I haven't needed to replace a cassette (I have replaced a chain but that was because I broke it taking it off trying to clean it :laugh:) but 2 months is not often enough. The grit and the crap rubbing between the chain and the cassette will wear it far quicker. I am a bit anal about keeping it clean as well to be fair :laugh:. I would be cleaning a chain every week during the summer if you're riding regularly and every 2 or 3 days in the winter (the wet roads makes it easy for the grime on the road to get into your chain and the like so basically it's just like rubbing sandpaper between them).

U

User6179

I haven't needed to replace a cassette (I have replaced a chain but that was because I broke it taking it off trying to clean it :laugh:) but 2 months is not often enough. The grit and the crap rubbing between the chain and the cassette will wear it far quicker. I am a bit anal about keeping it clean as well to be fair :laugh:. I would be cleaning a chain every week during the summer if you're riding regularly and every 2 or 3 days in the winter (the wet roads makes it easy for the grime on the road to get into your chain and the like so basically it's just like rubbing sandpaper between them).

Just wanted to know if all that extra effort prolongs the life of the drive train ,am doing over 1000 miles a month the now and seem to be fixing something every other week at the moment .The bikes on its 7th tyre(expensive ones) from may and if I thought cleaning the chain regulary would save me £££s I would be doing it .
Ive actually only used 250ml of oil in about 15000 miles:blush:

sabian92

Über Member
Just wanted to know if all that extra effort prolongs the life of the drive train ,am doing over 1000 miles a month the now and seem to be fixing something every other week at the moment .The bikes on its 7th tyre(expensive ones) from may and if I thought cleaning the chain regulary would save me £££s I would be doing it .
Ive actually only used 250ml of oil in about 15000 miles:blush:

Good lord :laugh:

It is definitely worth it. Not only does it last longer, it shifts better and smoother and it looks nicer too :biggrin: It saves you having to buy new cassettes and chains as often as well because it is noticeable how much more it wears them down. If the chain is looking a bit slack, get a chain measuring tool and see what it is at, it might need replacing. If the teeth are sharp (not rounded like new ones are) they need replacing too. It's worth replacing both at the same time as if you replace a cassette and use an old chain you're wearing it down just as much.

What bike do you have out of interest? And what tyres are you using?

U

User6179

Good lord :laugh:

It is definitely worth it. Not only does it last longer, it shifts better and smoother and it looks nicer too :biggrin: It saves you having to buy new cassettes and chains as often as well because it is noticeable how much more it wears them down. If the chain is looking a bit slack, get a chain measuring tool and see what it is at, it might need replacing. If the teeth are sharp (not rounded like new ones are) they need replacing too. It's worth replacing both at the same time as if you replace a cassette and use an old chain you're wearing it down just as much.

What bike do you have out of interest? And what tyres are you using?
I have a cube agree gtc race and just started using gp4000s instead of the ultremos as they were not lasting a month ,just changed the chain ,it had only stretched an inch and a half :whistle:

sabian92

Über Member
Are you getting a lot of punctures or just the tyres are wearing out because you're doing 1000 miles a month?

An inch and a half is insane :laugh: are the teeth OK on the cassette etc?

U

User6179

Are you getting a lot of punctures or just the tyres are wearing out because you're doing 1000 miles a month?

An inch and a half is insane :laugh: are the teeth OK on the cassette etc?

Ultremos developed bulges and a few got slashed , bought new cassette but when i put chain on the old cassette worked fine so left it . Always been told to change both at the same time because if the chains stretched the cassette will be worn but that dosnt seem to be the case here .

sabian92

Über Member
Ultremos developed bulges and a few got slashed , bought new cassette but when i put chain on the old cassette worked fine so left it . Always been told to change both at the same time because if the chains stretched the cassette will be worn but that dosnt seem to be the case here .
Hmm...

Have you tried something like the Marathon or the Marathon +? I know they're heavy tyres (I ride them) but they might be a bit more durable. From what I gather Ultremos and GP4000s can be a bit on the weak side.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Durano Plus. Fast, despite the weight- not racing fast, but you can have everything- yet as tough as proverbial old footwear.

U

User6179

Hmm...

Have you tried something like the Marathon or the Marathon +? I know they're heavy tyres (I ride them) but they might be a bit more durable. From what I gather Ultremos and GP4000s can be a bit on the weak side.

Yes I have marathon plus on the winter bike and they are bomb proof but I prefer a quicker tyre for summer on the good bike , did about 500 on the gp4000s and they only have one little cut so far and dare i say it no puntures .

sabian92

Über Member
Yes I have marathon plus on the winter bike and they are bomb proof but I prefer a quicker tyre for summer on the good bike , did about 500 on the gp4000s and they only have one little cut so far and dare i say it no puntures .

With the mileage you're doing I think it's a case of trying to grin and bear paying for a new set of rubber every month or using something a little slower and heavier but a lot more durable. Think of them as resistance training :biggrin: Although, riding 250 miles a week you're pretty fit to begin with...

Top Bottom