Taking kids to School

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

We live on a short cul-de-sac only 14 houses with a hammerhead at the top for turning, past the hammerhead is one of local the local junior school playing fields. One of the entrances to the school is on the cul-de-sac of the road above, they successfully campaigned & had No Parking signs & road marking put in their hammerhead to stop parents parking. This has had the knock on effect that they now use our road to get as close to the school as possible, some of the speeds we see are ridiculous, but anyway that is the background.

Each day in the morning & afternoon there is a maroon Dacia Duster which comes up the road, young gentleman then walks his child the remaining 80M to the school gates. The other day I was coming home & I saw a maroon Dacia Duster reversing off a driveway, I slowed to let it off the drive & then proceeded to follow it, it ended up coming up our road & parking, the young gentleman got out & went up to the school.

The point of this rant? Well I know I shouldn't judge without knowing all the facts, but if you walked from the driveway to the school roughly measured on Google maps it is 450M, yet this person choses to drive a car just under 1KM so they only have to walk 80M

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
We live on a short cul-de-sac only 14 houses with a hammerhead at the top for turning, past the hammerhead is one of local the local junior school playing fields. One of the entrances to the school is on the cul-de-sac of the road above, they successfully campaigned & had No Parking signs & road marking put in their hammerhead to stop parents parking. This has had the knock on effect that they now use our road to get as close to the school as possible, some of the speeds we see are ridiculous, but anyway that is the background.

Each day in the morning & afternoon there is a maroon Dacia Duster which comes up the road, young gentleman then walks his child the remaining 80M to the school gates. The other day I was coming home & I saw a maroon Dacia Duster reversing off a driveway, I slowed to let it off the drive & then proceeded to follow it, it ended up coming up our road & parking, the young gentleman got out & went up to the school.

The point of this rant? Well I know I shouldn't judge without knowing all the facts, but if you walked from the driveway to the school roughly measured on Google maps it is 450M, yet this person choses to drive a car just under 1KM so they only have to walk 80M

And people wonder why there is an obesity crisis in this country.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

If the Dacia returned immediately to the nearby start point, I would also raise my eyebrows.

But if there was an onward journey further away, can't really moan.
5 days a week, twice a day onward journeys? I'd be surprised

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It's still staggering how lazy and selfish some people are. Around my son's school it's carnage, no-one can navigate the side roads properly becasue there are cars parked around junctions so seeing and/or even getting round them is impossible. Many people are still parking across people's driveways that have clear signs saying "do not block driveway". I park about 300m down the road and there are never any problems, you just have to walk a bit further. One offender was doing it so much that the police came and had a word with her (not sure of the outcome though). her car was plastered on the school page, and then shared to other community pages. But the council know about this, and all the cars parked on the mouths of junctions could presumably get a ticket; the council would rake it in every morning and afternoon if they sent just 1 traffic warden out.

Edited to add: I'm thrilled that my son will be starting high school in september, and his mum (my ex) has agreed that he can walk to and from school. It's a 45 minute walk but he's actually looking forward to doing it

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It's highly noticeable how quiet the roads are at peak times during school holidays.

Although that is partly as the parents take holidays as well as the kids.

There is a parent at my son's school who lives closer than my wife sometimes parks to pick my son up. And yes, they always drive their child to school.

You do have to realise that the case of the Dacia driver is not the only circumstance

A lot of lids live too far from the school to walk there. I pick my grand-daughter up from school once or twice a week and it takes me a while to dive there - and the route I take moves at a reasonable speed

So there are some kids that pretty much have to be picked up by car most of the time.
Mind you given the number of cars I can't believe that they all live outside walking distance - and the parking and driving is pathetic at time.
Personally I just drive away from the school until I find a reasonable place to park that doesn't cause anyone any problems. Other are not so sensible!!!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I can see both sides of the coin re: driving kids to school for whatever reason. But it only takes a few minutes longer to park sensibly further away and do a bit of walking. In fact sometimes I've walked past a mini gridlock and been in my car and away whilst cars are still stuck and playing car-chess.

Regards the OP though, I'm not sure you can do much about people parking in your cul-de-sac. It's lazy but it's not illegal. UNless they are blocking your driveway

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

A lot of lids live too far from the school to walk there. I pick my grand-daughter up from school once or twice a week and it takes me a while to dive there - and the route I take moves at a reasonable speed
Agreed the school in question & the other school in the village is now taking children from the other surrounding villages as housing estates have been built full of family homes yet no provision for these children to go to school in their village.

Top Bottom