Taking metal cycling kit in hand luggage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Having travelled this year on a budget airline I looked at this in some detail. As far as hand luggage goes, SPD pedals are not a problem (although I always think they will look like hand grenades on the luggage scan!). Cabin baggage is definitely excluding sharp objects and tools. Tools are deemed as an opportunity to dismantle or assemble things, which the airlines see as a security risk.

If you need to take tools then it must be checked in as hold luggage. I got around this by stashing it in fellow travellers bike cases.
Cycle shoes, spare tyres, inner tubes, pedals, etc are all fair game. Multi-tools, spanners, Allen keys, pliers are not.

You can pack whatever you want, but don't be surprised if you have items confiscated or are detained while your flight departs.... It's your choice how much you want to test your luck?

I suppose another thing to think about is how easily could you get the tools when you arrive at your destination? Places like Decathlon are all over the place - it might be cheaper to buy them again and leave them!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Cabin baggage is definitely excluding sharp objects and tools

Tools, yes. Sharp objects, not all.

We flew from Glasgow and Gatwick in May and I was okay to keep my small knife and my wife had a small pair of folding scissors she’d forgotten to put in her suitcase. There was no problem.

Top Bottom