Taking metal cycling kit in hand luggage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Bit of an odd one this - I’m looking at taking some tools and some SPD pedals on holiday to use with the bikes that we have there, but I’m half expecting at least the pedals to get confiscated at security because I guess someone could do some serious damage with them on an aeroplane if they wanted to!

Anyone managed to successfully do this? (pedals in hand luggage, not the serious damage thing)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't think the pedals will be a worry, more like the tools.
I've had a small multi tool taken off me by security before because it was deemed that it could be used as a weapon.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I suppose some official could make a case that a pedal could be used as a knuckleduster, but usually they are looking for sharp tools. They confiscated a woodworking router bit from me once. It was lurking, forgotten, at the bottom of my rucksack.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I don't think the pedals will be a worry, more like the tools.
I've had a small multi tool taken off me by security before because it was deemed that it could be used as a weapon.

They obviously haven't seen the gashes in my ankles caused by slippy soles when trying to clip in on a wet day!

Thinking of the list of things that are prohibited and the stuff that people take on, it'll probably be okay especially if I'm taking the shoes as well, could even clip them onto the shoes so it's obvious what they're for. To a lot of people bicycle pedals are still small black plastic rectangles.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
You only need an Allen key for the pedals usually?

I'll check but I think these ones need a spanner, that might have been my old pedals though. I wouldn't take a spanner on the plane though, there'll be one at the destination. I guess a few loose Allen keys and some patch glue in the see-through bag is all I'd need.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There's a list here: https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/sports-equipment

It tells you that baseball bats, spear guns and knuckledusters are not allowed. But surprisingly it doesn't mention pedals!

Are they SPD or SPD-SL? Could make all the difference ;)

Nah, MTB flats are lethal weapons, especially to shins.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Pedals shouldn’t be a problem but some tools might be. It’s worth checking with the airport you are flying from and I would recommend also checking with the airport you are returning from as the restrictions might be different.

I was allowed to take my penknife (under 6cm blade) on board when flying out from Heathrow but had it confiscated when flying back home from Accra, Ghana. Both flights with the same airline but different attitudes from security.

I always take my shoes, pedals and helmet (and a set of cycling clothes in case my suitcase goes missing so I can still go out cycling) through in my hand luggage and never had any of them taken off me. A shoe with a spd cleat could do some serious damage lol

But never taken tools through, no matter how small.

Dadam

Bit of an odd one this - I’m looking at taking some tools and some SPD pedals on holiday to use with the bikes that we have there, but I’m half expecting at least the pedals to get confiscated at security because I guess someone could do some serious damage with them on an aeroplane if they wanted to!

Anyone managed to successfully do this? (pedals in hand luggage, not the serious damage thing)

Why not just put them in checked baggage? I always take a swiss army penknife, one with Allen keys and little pliers etc but I make sure it’s not in hand luggage. Not had an issue yet and I’ve been to Japan where they are very strict

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not just put them in checked baggage? I always take a swiss army penknife, one with Allen keys and little pliers etc but I make sure it’s not in hand luggage. Not had an issue yet and I’ve been to Japan where they are very strict

Only taking hand luggage?
Can you afford to lose them if they are confiscated, will you still be able to ride at the other emend (using whatever the hire bike comes with/buy new pedals)?

Top Bottom