Taking my bike on a train?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheffgirl

I know you can do this, but is it possible to book or should I just turn up and hope there's room? And is there anything else I need to know?
I'm off work next week so wanting to get out on my bike, I'm thinking of catching the train to Hope one of the days and riding to Castleton for some sightseeing and maybe some fish and chips :smile: and then riding home.
I wouldn't travel during rush hour for obvious reasons, I think there is a train at 10.14AM.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You can't normally book places on the small trains like the ones on that line.

I caught the train to Hathersage from Sheffield with my bike last year. Some mountain bikers had already got bikes in the official bike storage area so I just stood with mine by the doors and moved it when people wanted to get off at Grindleford.

The only time I have ever had a problem on a small train, was from Leeds at rush hour when there just wasn't room so I waited for the next train, which was much less busy. You should be fine at 10:14.

Don't forget to have a go at Winnats! :thumbsup:

Just turn up, I reckon. It's a Northern Rail route, and they're generally great at allowing bikes on trains - often several more over the limit

Done that very route several times - sometimes turning up with three or four bikes. ^_^ Good guys.

^_^ Colin got there first

I just turn up and hope (Chiltern Trains) never had a problem, but even if I did there is a train every 30 mins so not long to wait anyway. Normally get the one just after the 19:00 curfew, full up of commuters still who stare at me for taking up room by the doors, if they only knew I was only paying Senior Rail Card prices they would probably throw me off ^_^

OP
OP
sheffgirl

sheffgirl

You can't normally book places on the small trains like the ones on that line.

I caught the train to Hathersage from Sheffield with my bike last year. Some mountain bikers had already got bikes in the official bike storage area so I just stood with mine by the doors and moved it when people wanted to get off at Grindleford.

The only time I have ever had a problem on a small train, was from Leeds at rush hour when there just wasn't room so I waited for the next train, which was much less busy. You should be fine at 10:14.

Don't forget to have a go at Winnats! :thumbsup:

I've just Googled Winnat Pass :unsure:
Hills are not my forte, but I suppose if I can get up it even partway I can roll back down again :laugh:

Thanks for the replies everyone :smile:
I am looking forward to it, hopefully the weather won't be too bad, Thursday looks like the best bet. Although it would take torrential rain to put me off. I'm taking my bike for its free 6 month service (thanks Decathlon :thumbsup: ) before I go so I know it'll be in tip-top condition :biggrin:

I've just Googled Winnat Pass :unsure:
I'm taking my bike for its free 6 month service (thanks Decathlon :thumbsup: ) before I go so I know it'll be in tip-top condition :biggrin:

I'd be sure to do a few miles after the service to make sure all is well, things far more likely to breakdown after being fiddled with. Back when I worked we got rid of all planned maintenance and only fixed things that were broken, saved a fortune and cut down the number of failures.

aidB

Regular
You should be fine. It's at the conductor's discretion. Delamere, on the Chester line from Man Picc is very popular with cyclists of all kind. We nearly always manage to get everyone on. :smile:

OP
OP
sheffgirl

sheffgirl

I'd be sure to do a few miles after the service to make sure all is well, things far more likely to breakdown after being fiddled with. Back when I worked we got rid of all planned maintenance and only fixed things that were broken, saved a fortune and cut down the number of failures.

Well I've taken it today for its service, lucky I did because he said the front (disc) brake was a bit loose, not that I'd noticed. They adjusted the brakes, and now they're a LOT sharper, I must remember this to avoid going over the handlebars when stopping :laugh: Rode it home, about 5 miles, and it seems fine. I had to adjust the seat because they moved it way too high for me, a kind passerby helped me (twice) because the clip was a bit stiff for me to move, he was telling me he used to be into cycling but wasn't allowed anymore due to mobility problems (he walked with a stick) :sad:

4 in one carriage on my NR train tonight and at least 2 in the other carriages, NR generally are ok. That said its all on the guard really, as I got off one day last week the jobsworth guard on that train was telling a group of 8-11 yr olds they could only take 2 bikes on.

OP
OP
sheffgirl

sheffgirl

I did it, it wasn't a huge train but there was only me and 1 other person I spotted with a bike. I stashed it in a bay with fold-down seats and stood with it so it didn't fall over. The conductor didn't say anything to me about it. I somehow managed to get off the train 2 stops early, no idea why, which added 4 miles to my ride, but I still really enjoyed it :dance:although my legs are aching already. And when I stopped for a drink I found a ten pound note in the grass, bonus! :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did it, it wasn't a huge train but there was only me and 1 other person I spotted with a bike. I stashed it in a bay with fold-down seats and stood with it so it didn't fall over. The conductor didn't say anything to me about it. I somehow managed to get off the train 2 stops early, no idea why, which added 4 miles to my ride, but I still really enjoyed it :dance:although my legs are aching already. And when I stopped for a drink I found a ten pound note in the grass, bonus! :biggrin:
I'm glad that you had fun!

Funny - I was just telling someone earlier this evening that I once found a £10 when out on a ride. It paid for that night's takeaway and beer! (I'd seen sunlight reflecting off something in front of me, which turned out to be the hologram on the banknote.)

classic33

Leg End Member
Brown, with the Queen on the front! I lost one like that, what was on the rear? It might be the one I lost.

OP
OP
sheffgirl

sheffgirl

I'm glad that you had fun!

Funny - I was just telling someone earlier this evening that I once found a £10 when out on a ride. It paid for that night's takeaway and beer! (I'd seen sunlight reflecting off something in front of me, which turned out to be the hologram on the banknote.)

I found a fiver earlier this year, I'm hoping next time its a 20.

I noticed that drivers in the Peak District seem to be better around cyclists, probably because they're more used to us :smile:
I thanked one van driver for waiting until it was safer to overtake, and he waved back at me, always nice :smile:

Top Bottom