taking of a front mech...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr-marty-martin

im currently running a 25-12 on the back, and a 39-50 on the front, for youth races im restricted to the 39 ring anyways so im thinking about taking the front mech of, and big chainring, and all cables etc...

can anyone see a problem with this ?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used an old roadbike for a few time trials a couple of years back and just ran a 52 ring with no mech or chainguides, standard 8 speed setup at the back. The problem with this setup is the chain can unship, it didn't happen to me but I could've just been lucky. It wouldn't have been a big deal in a TT* but it'd be a shoot if it happened in the bunch.

You can get chainguides- basically flanges that bolt onto the sides of the cranks. Sometimes these are used on cross bikes (try Salsa cycles, they used to sell them). A lot of these are made of carbon now and they can be a bit pricey- should be possible to get alloy ones tho'.

You could use two or perhaps another option would be one on the outside and a chain watcher on the seat tube- unless the tube is an odd shape or something.

It's possible, I'm not sure whether it'd give you much of an advantage. You'll save a bit of weight overall I guess.

*Obviously it wouldn't have done my time any good, but it was unlikely to be especially dangerous.

OP
OP
M

mr-marty-martin

yeah i was wondering if that would happen

but i do run the 39 through the whole cassette, and i trim the front mech so it dont touch the chain, so basicly i was thinking its just like the mech not beeing there...

Top Bottom