Taking off a screw on free wheel ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I recently put a new screw on free wheel on an old 80's road bike ( the old broken one was taken off by welding the inner to the outer) I have now brought an ali wheel to replace the anti lock/work braking system ie: chrome coated rim. I have tried to remove the freewheel but have now butchered the removal tool, have I any chance in a million years of removing it ? or should I just buy another.

midlife

Guru
Any pics of the freewheel / tool ?

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Sorry no I was attempting to do it at a friends house as he had the tool , it seemed quite substantial but one of the pins snapped off. I have never seen anyone get one off although I must admit I haven't seen these screw on freewheels used since the 80's

midlife

Guru
Might be easier to buy a new freewheel, 6 speed?

Something like Sunrace is not much more than a fiver lol

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It depends on what freewheel you have. If it's a Dicta, or a Shimano 6sp sprt of thing, then it's not worth the bother - just buy a new one. If it's a White Industries singlespeed one then you'll probably want to remove it.

I've removed a few. The trick is to make sure the tool is held firmly into the prongs on the freewheel. If it starts sliding out then you can start twisting the teeth on the tool.

rrarider

Veteran
You will need a new removal tool to get the old freewheel off. When you mount the new tool in position, hold it in place with the skewer or axle and nuts. If you don't do this, it's very easy to damage the prongs on the tool.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I clamp the tool in a large vice and rotate the wheel around it. Works every time.
Heh. My vice stayed attached to the bench but the bench groaned and started to bend, so now I favour a long pole over a spanner handle for this job!

Top Bottom