Taking off the door mirror...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
From time-to-time, after having felt the brush of a door mirror or side panel or vehicle door against my tender flesh when awheel, I have been known to remove a door mirror from the offending vehicle if I've been able to catch it. I've never chased someone down to do it but sometimes the twunt driving just doesn't realise there will be a queue ahead. (And there was that bloke, back in the day, who pulled into the petrol station... he ended up with no door mirrors at all...)

As far as I can recall I've done this four- or five-times since in the last 15 years, mainly because the chance to catch the twunt is all too rare on my mainly rural rides.

This may, I accept, make me a certain type of cyclist.

What says the cc-hive mind? Just desserts or beyond the pale? High five for GG or a spell on the naughty step?

Brandane

Legendary Member
It might be justified in certain - extreme- circumstances, but if the "crime" is simply parking a car on a public road, then ....... well, see THAT thread, which is now locked ;).

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Took off one car door mirror after the driver of the vehicle decided to dangerously overtake me very closely on a left hand corner whilst continually beeping the horn and tailgating me. I don't think the driver realised that they would get stuck in traffic ahead. I stopped, asked what their problem was and got a sweary mouthful back. So thwack... mirror gone.
No regrets and I would do it again.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It may be justified in certain circumstances, but if the "crime" is simply parking a car on a public road, then ....... well, see THAT thread, which is now locked ;).
Causing an obstruction thobut?

(I agree that removal of mirror would be a cruel and unusual punishment)

Garethgas

I have to say, I disagree with this practice.
It shows an immature and aggressive attitude, the kind of behaviour I'd expect from an angry or spoilt teenager.
It engages you in a war you can't win and does your cause no good.
It's an act of vandalism and I'd have no sympathy if the motorist got out and laid you out.
You are deliberately provoking a reaction and escalating a needless situation.
You are creating an angry motorist and the next cyclist he comes across might suffer as a result.
Frankly, there are so many wrongs in your attitude, I'll stop there.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd say no, despite how tempting it might seem. The driver may not remember you in the future, but he* will have an even bigger grudge against cyclists and may extract some even more dangerous revenge on another cyclist.

* I'm saying he, as invariably such idiots are male.
Does that work if it is driver on driver conflict? As in....

The driver may not remember the specific driver in the future but he, and it IS always a he, he will have an even bigger grudge, which implies he has a grudge to start with, well he will have an even bigger grudge against other drivers and may extract some even more dangerous revenge on another driver.

... as I'm not sure it is. And drivers knocking other drivers door mirrors off is far more common than cyclists doing it ime.

boydj

Legendary Member
Far better to come up quietly behind the driver and hit the roof of the car hard with the flat of your hand. No damage, but the driver won't forget in a hurry. If he gets out of the car you can tell him that what you did was a lot less dangerous than what he had done previously - and you have his number.

Does that work if it is driver on driver conflict? As in....

The driver may not remember the specific driver in the future but he, and it IS always a he, he will have an even bigger grudge, which implies he has a grudge to start with, well he will have an even bigger grudge against other drivers and may extract some even more dangerous revenge on another driver.

... as I'm not sure it is. And drivers knocking other drivers door mirrors off is far more common than cyclists doing it ime.

Motorists will see it differently. Motorist on motorist conflict is the same herd. Remember that cyclists are different and stick out more.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have to admit that sometimes with the adrenalin running I could be tempted (but havent yet) .

I dont think illegal acts like this can possibly promote anything good for cyclists in general though.And of course one day the driver may see red and run right over you in a rage.

Top Bottom