Taking the Bike - Preparation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm another everyday-clothes rider. I'd advise layering (all the rage this year with energy prices!) and getting a big saddlebag or rack bag which you put a few extra layers in each ride, but still have space to put a layer or two that you're wearing into. Then you should be able to adjust what you're wearing to the actual temperature rather than what you thought it was before you started trying to ride!

I'm currently liking Decathlon outer layers, including a part-windproof showerproof "Rockrider" MTB jacket for autumn/spring and a down-like "Forclaz" jacket for winter. I think they've done a couple of years each so far. I also have a builder's cape for when I need to stay dry during prolonged rain, but sometimes a crap driver has a different idea and sluices me with water from their tyres, getting up under my cape, so keeping spare dry clothes at work is probably a good safeguard. Sometimes I have to ride slower to avoid sweating. And I can't help but ride slower with a cape: it's the second-least aerodynamic outfit I've ever ridden in (and the least was a TV box, for a fancy-dress ride).

Uhhhhm not much else I can add to the excellent stuff above. Military-pattern boots (the tongue sides form gutters) keep my feet dry on the worst days, but usually the cape and toe-covers over shoes are good enough.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have yet to find a solution to the wet foot problem.
Neoprene fishing socks, available from Aldi at a tenner, work a treat.
If it's raining and very cold, put a pair of thin socks under them.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
One thing I always have is a few bags on the bike, whether it's a small ortlieb saddle bag, frame bag, or even a rack and panniers. I can then easily carry a spare insulation layer with me, or have a place to store a layer if I start getting too hot. Especially this time of year I find myself starting out with several warm layers on and then needing to shed a layer as I warm up with the exercise. Layers are also a good thing, I wear a Merino wool t shirt (Decathlon do some good ones), a micro fleece jumper and an Altura soft shell jacket on top. I also carry a spare gilet from Alpkit for when I get chilled or stop for a break.

You mention about the ability to go shopping on the bike, investing in a rack and panniers would help with all of the above, as well as give you the ability to carry a fair bit of grocery shopping.

Top Bottom