Taking the plunge - working for yourself!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smeggers

Ignore what people say about being "free", you'll be tied to your business in more ways than you ever through possible (physically and emotionally).

Now in my 7th year and 'things' are just starting to settle.

Remember if it was that easy, then everyone would do it!

MarkF

Guru
Smeggers said:
Ignore what people say about being "free", you'll be tied to your business in more ways than you ever through possible (physically and emotionally).

Now in my 7th year and 'things' are just starting to settle.

Remember if it was that easy, then everyone would do it!

Depends what your business is. I am "free", I can be where I want and I can do what I want, exactly when I want. I can be, and often am, "working" whilst cycling.

You can make it as easy as you want and still not everybody would do it, a lot of people like security, nowt wrong with that, but they would never work for themselves, nowt wrong with that either.

ChrisKH

Guru
Best of luck. Get yourself a good accountant; and have a consultation now rather than later. If you're in the South East I know some very reasonable practices/partners. Too may people in start-up leave this until after the end of their first trading year and then find they have failed to inform the necessary authorities, haven't put enough aside to pay their tax, failed to register for VAT when they should have (and vice versa), use the wrong trading medium, etc. Even if you think you're on the right track it pays to check.

bonj2

great... looks good. But where does it say how much you're charging for these bike holidays on the tour de france route? That's the first thing I'd want to know.
And do you get the luggage taken from one hotel to the next via for you, or do you have to take it on panniers?

good luck, Richie.

L

OP
OP
R

Richie1964

bonj said:
great... looks good. But where does it say how much you're charging for these bike holidays on the tour de france route? That's the first thing I'd want to know.
And do you get the luggage taken from one hotel to the next via for you, or do you have to take it on panniers?

Prices and detailed schedule will be up in 2 weeks. Luggage will be moved for you.

bonj2

Richie1964 said:
Prices and detailed schedule will be up in 2 weeks. Luggage will be moved for you.

ah right, well that sounds like a decent honest service then, all the best to you ! :rolleyes:
I thought for a minute it was going to be one of these websites that simply charges gullible people for information that's available anyway with a bit of research. From what you've confirmed it seems like it's not. My business tip is to beware of being seen as this - i.e. highlight what you actually DO for people, so then they're more likely to feel they're getting a good deal.

Top Bottom