Taking the plunge - working for yourself!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
bonj said:
ah right, well that sounds like a decent honest service then, all the best to you ! :rolleyes:
I thought for a minute it was going to be one of these websites that simply charges gullible people for information that's available anyway with a bit of research. From what you've confirmed it seems like it's not. My business tip is to beware of being seen as this - i.e. highlight what you actually DO for people, so then they're more likely to feel they're getting a good deal.

You really are a prize muppet, aren't you!!!!!

Good luck with the venture, Richie - it can't fail now Bonj says it's probably kosher;):rolleyes:

bonj2

i can't win can I :rolleyes:

mikeitup

Veteran
re

good luck richie!!!

the site looks very good.

A novel idea.

Are you going to supply performance enhancing drugs so it is just like the real thing? :rolleyes::biggrin:

OP
OP
R

Richie1964

mikeitup said:
good luck richie!!!

the site looks very good.

A novel idea.

Are you going to supply performance enhancing drugs so it is just like the real thing? :rolleyes::biggrin:

Hmmm lemme think about that.........................

Nah :rolleyes:

LLB

What may help you (what helped me enormously) Be original, give them something which makes you stand out from the rest (which you appear to anyway), and work the media (without them, you are nearly invisible).
In my business, I placed small adverts in the mags, and managed to negotiate for editorials. The adverts don't really pull in the punters, but the editorials do. I'm getting 50 - 60 individual hits per day on my website ATM which are running to anything between 3 and 12 orders a day as well as repeat business from last year.
Where you can, also use the forums to plug (discretion required, wait for people to ask questions, and answer them directly in the thread for maximum exposure)

Add a page on your website for testimonials also, and ask your customers to add to it.

I have been self employed for a year and am a sole trader,(still work full time as the business is seasonal), and what helped me was my accountants advice. I claimed nearly all my tax back from employed income last year as the losses are offset against the PAYE of the full time job. You may be able to do this but I'm not sure how the tax rules on ltd co's operate

OP
OP
R

Richie1964

Thanks for the advice Linford. The media shouldn't be a worry for me, I used to be a Publishing Director, where I ran a magazines publishing business. I have plans for the cycling press that I will be actioning as soon as the 2008 schedules are finalised.
The website will indeed have a gallery/testimonials page to further help create interest.
Rest assured, I in no way will claim I have thought of everything, so if you or anyone else have ideas - then let me know!

Rich

OP
OP
R

Richie1964

OK everyone, the schedules are finalised, the site is finished and today I start working on the marketing. You'll even be able to ride the Etape stage the day after the Etape! Spread the word for me!
Regards
Richard
www.rideletour.com

Top Bottom