Taking the Santander ferry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

It's probably an excercise in futility ,considering the current 'panicdemic', but thought I'd plan a trip to northern Spain to Santander or Bilbao.
Brittany ferries are said to run the only service currently, but it's all rather 'grey' in the details.
Seems it's possible to book a car or motorbike but not a bicycle, or my case 'trike' .
Cyclist aren't ,it seems in favour, yet it's still possible to croß to France with a bike.
What say ,the collective Hive mind?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
What say ,the collective Hive mind?
Ring / email /webchat contact their customer services people....

vickster

Legendary Member
Call them… 03301597000 :okay:

from their website FAQs
Motorcycles and bicycles
You can safely take your motorcycle or bicycle on any of our ferries. We also carry the following vehicles:

• Trikes (can be booked online, please select 'Car' from the vehicle options on step 1)
  • Motorcycle and sidecar (can be booked online, please select 'Car' from the vehicle options on step 1)
  • Tandem bicycle (please call our Reservations Team on 0330 159 7000 to book)

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Tenkaykev

Guru
I looked into travelling to Santander via ferry as a foot passenger several years ago. It worked out really quite expensive with a mandatory cabin reservation. I ended up going by train ( The man in seat 61 was a great resource for organising European rail travel )

Brandane

Legendary Member
Presumably it will be for reasons of economy, but whether or not they will admit that is another thing.
Cabins are mandatory on that crossing, I believe. So they would rather fill the cabins with people who are also forking out £xxx to take their car with them, rather than a cyclist taking a bike for free. But do they accept bookings for foot passengers? If yes, would you not be within your rights to turn up as a foot passenger, with your bike in tow as "luggage"?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably it will be for reasons of economy, but whether or not they will admit that is another thing.
Cabins are mandatory on that crossing, I believe. So they would rather fill the cabins with people who are also forking out £xxx to take their car with them, rather than a cyclist taking a bike for free. But do they accept bookings for foot passengers?
Yes according to FAQs
https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/...tion/how-do-i-book-as-a-foot-passenger-online

it sounds like you have to book a trike as a car (ie pay) but phone up to confirm!

Brandane

Legendary Member
I looked into travelling to Santander via ferry as a foot passenger several years ago. It worked out really quite expensive with a mandatory cabin reservation. I ended up going by train ( The man in seat 61 was a great resource for organising European rail travel )
I went thru the same thing in 2019.
But it's swings and roundabouts - as a cyclist you'll probably take a ferry anyway (Eurostar is sh1te now :sad: ), and your own cabin would be much nicer than a day wedged in with plebs, changing trains, yada-yada!

(I was going to Biarrrritz - if I'd wanted to actually start a tour from Santander, the direct ferry might have won. And where are you starting? Plymouth vs Dover would be very different issues, for example ... )

vickster

Legendary Member
Given that the next line says a motorcycle and sidecar are booked as a car, I'd guess their 'trike' is a three wheeled motorbike.
Could be hence needing to call, as there’s no specific mention of a normal 2 wheel bike.
Surely the company themselves are best placed to advise on their conditions of carriage!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
think of the cabin as a hotel room and a decent nights sleep vs slumped in a seat on a noisy train and it looks better value

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

think of the cabin as a hotel room and a decent nights sleep vs slumped in a seat on a noisy train and it looks better value
I am only thinking about it at the moment, but I explored the booking procedure, put in my travel dates, it came back as no services.
Presumably they are not sailing or just not accepting cycles, due to the 'Panicdemic', such was the case earlier, they were accepting cars, but not cycles this was the case in point on cross channel crossings to France & Netherlands.
Next step then, is to contact them rather than try and book online.
But it does seem strange to omit cyclist, but accept motorist.
Shall post on enquiries, far easier to travel by ferry than air or train, so much more convenient.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a rough overnight crossing over the Bay of Biscay having done it as a kid...having your own cabin & thus loo to puke in would be beneficial ;)

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

It's a rough overnight crossing over the Bay of Biscay having done it as a kid...having your own cabin & thus loo to puke in would be beneficial ;)
Not bothered by the sea crossing, I am a hobby sailor, so have the sea legs, but yep the Biscay can be 'Lumpy'

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Not bothered by the sea crossing, I am a hobby sailor, so have the sea legs, but yep the Biscay can be 'Lumpy'
Further to enquiries, it's as I suspected Brittany ferries are not accepting cyclist or footpassengers on this service, I paraphrase ' due to room availability' , when further questioned, stating that a cycle takes less room up than a car/motorbike' ,further informed , that should the service be suspended, cancelled, or pandemic causing us to re-route, customer's to Northern France to repatriation, they do not consider it appropiate for customers to travels across France.
That info isn't verbatim, just paraphrased.
So time to register a complaint to Britanny ferries, if I can motor asisst but not travel under my own free will.

Had that problem before when I was going to travel to the Semaine Federale cycle rally, had to cancel when they could or would not confirm, eventually got the money back ,but they weren't willing.
BEWARE !!!!!

Top Bottom