Taking the Santander ferry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
The trick is you don't sleep in the seat you take a mat and
sleeping bag on board and sleep on the floor , it's normally clean
though finding the ideal bit of floor can be tricky .

If the weather is good you can sleep on the deck. we did after the ash cloud evacuation. Just be wary of the early morning hosepipe action!

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Providing the weather is good in the Bay of Biscay that's a lovely crossing, to me it felt more like a little cruise than a ferry ride. I personally took the early evening crossing which arrived in Santander early the next morning. The feeling of being on a cruise seduced me into to a rare moment of indulgence, treating myself to meal in their relatively posh restaurant instead of their café. After a quick explore it can be a challenge to find things 'to while away' the time on a ferry; I concluded that a lovely meal, lovely bottle of wine and a lovely view was a good way to spend the evening; for sure it can be easy to talk myself to an indulgent treat! A full tummy and no doubt the wine I dare say more than contributed to me sleeping through the overnight storm that everyone was complaining about as we waited to cycle off the following morning :laugh:

Many use that crossing and then ride towards the Pyrenees. I personally went along the coast in the opposite direction and spent a few days in the Picos de Europa National Park; a tour I rode over 30 years ago and remains one of the best I have ever done, the ride from Panes via Potes to Fuente Dé with a trip to the top by cable car was a highlight; can't recommend it enough

Last edited:
Providing the weather is good in the Bay of Biscay that's a lovely crossing, to me it felt more like a little cruise than a ferry ride. I personally took the early evening crossing which arrived in Santader early the next morning.
I think you mean the *2nd* morning, no?

The Brittany Ferries web site will let me book a crossing with a bicycle this month
Hmm. I have 5.5 days leave to use up ... what is the November weather like in the Picos?!?

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Providing the weather is good in the Bay of Biscay that's a lovely crossing, to me it felt more like a little cruise than a ferry ride. I personally took the early evening crossing which arrived in Santander early the next morning.
I think you mean the *2nd* morning, no?
If I recall the crossing I did back then was from the shorter route of 'Poole-Santander' and not from 'Portsmouth' as it is now. It was 30 years plus ago and I can't recall the exact time of departure, it may well have between early/mid after noon and not early evening; whatever the time it was sufficient to allow for an arrival in Santander the following morning.

Last edited:

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I remember taking the ferry to Santander back in the seventies and there was a full gale blowing as we crossed Biscay. I was amused to see several hardy souls cocconed in their sleeping bags on the upper deck with spray lashing over them. A lot of passengers were rather ill on that crossing and the seating areas were not a pleasant place to be. 🤢

I remember taking the ferry to Santander back in the seventies and there was a full gale blowing as we crossed Biscay. I was amused to see several hardy souls cocconed in their sleeping bags on the upper deck with spray lashing over them. A lot of passengers were rather ill on that crossing and the seating areas were not a pleasant place to be. 🤢
I'd link to THAT Family Guy Scene, but it really is very unpleasant, and the sun ain't over the yardarm yet!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's a rough overnight crossing over the Bay of Biscay having done it as a kid...having your own cabin & thus loo to puke in would be beneficial ;)
I love rough crossings. It's fun being bounced off the walls, and there's no queue for the restaurant. I remember a particularly violent crossing from Zeebrugge which took about twice as long as it was supposed to due to the weather. There were people lying on the carpet in the corridors. I had sausage and chips.

I love rough crossings. It's fun being bounced off the walls, and there's no queue for the restaurant. I remember a particularly violent crossing from Zeebrugge which took about twice as long as it was supposed to due to the weather. There were people lying on the carpet in the corridors. I had sausage and chips.
Was that the trip when you lost your leg?

Or the one when you brought that bloody parrot back?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I too get no travel sickness of any kind. Love a good stormy crossing.

Top Bottom