Taking the studs off too early

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigal1956

Regular
Ya, I took the studs off too early, this warm spell fooled me, now we've got more snow in Alberta. How many of you Brits have done the same thing?

Cerdic

Probably not many round here. We had a couple of millimetres of snow in January, lasted 2 days!

What are studs...:laugh:

gom

Über Member
You have removable studs? Or does that mean just changing the tyres?
In the past, when I often spent New year "oop north", I wondered about getting studded tyres as snow-filled lanes not always fun. But like air-conditioning, not enough days need them to warrant the spend.
I spend my money on good rain gear :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was a bit late in fitting the studded tyres this year. TBH it's been wet this winter in the UK - we had some really cold weather in January but it was icy, ideal for the studs, but still very wet, so I ended up with a bike covered in frozen mud.

I have one set of studded tyres I've had for over 10 years - they went on for winter commuting. My Full suspension also has a set, only takes 10 minutes to swap over, but they are great fun.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm in London. We only get bad ice about once a year for about 10 minutes so never needed to buy studded tyres.

It's the opposite in the frozen north.

Once the ice takes hold, it can hang around for weeks because temperatures of plus a few degrees during the day are not enough to thaw it.

Particularly true of the cycle paths which have been upgraded to asphalt.

Nicer to ride on most of the time, but the previous gravel and cinder tracks were safer in the winter.

Top Bottom