Taking the time to care!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday I went for a ride on my own. For me it was a long ride (40 miles) I stopped at the side of the road to take a breather and a bite to eat, not long into my pit stop a cyclist stopped to make sure I was OK! I thought that it was really kind of him to slow his own time down to make sure I was OK! I thanked him and let him know I was fine and he went on his way. A bit further along I stopped again to adjust my saddle.... Again, another cyclist pulled up to make sure I was OK! I have to say, I am very proud to belong to such a group of lovely caring people!
I just want to say a big thank you to those two caring cyclists! I really, really appreciated it!!

andyfraser

Über Member
And to balance this out, I was out for a ride just before Christmas when my chain came off the chainrings. So I'm at the side of the road trying to get my chain sorted and I happened to look up. Two cyclists went sailing passed without even acknowledging I was there. Either southerners are bar stewards or it's a gender thing.

Davos87

Guru
One of these days your illusions will be shattered as you are tootling down the road, you utter a cheery hello to a fellow cyclist pedalling in the opposite direction and he/she completely ignores you.
It traumatised me for weeks I can tell you. :becool:

matiz

Guru
I w as thinking the same yeaterday Moe i was cycling on the ridgeway dorset stopped for adrink within 5 minutes 3 seperate roadies and a young lady on a mtb had stopped to check i was ok made me feel proud to be a cyclist

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I w as thinking the same yeaterday Moe i was cycling on the ridgeway dorset stopped for adrink within 5 minutes 3 seperate roadies and a young lady on a mtb had stopped to check i was ok made me feel proud to be a cyclist

Either that or you looked so awful that people thought you were about to kick the bucket or something!! :laugh:

Maybe like the time when my pal and I stopped in the park after dark, for a cyclist fettling his bike with the aid of a torch.
We are the Belles on Bikes, may we be of assistance?
The man looked up in horror, uttered a "No!" took a step back as he'd seen Dracula :laugh:

Pat, having met you on several occasions, I know that that is an insult to Dracula what was he thinking?? :giggle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
My buddy and I came across a woman cyclist with a puncture on Bleasdale Fell one cold day. She was struggling to refit the tyre as her hands were frozen. We chatted a bit and naturally I offered to help, as I would with any cyclist. Her refusal of my offer was so rudely aggressive that we were both taken aback; it was not as if I'd offered her sex or something. She was cycling quite a tough route from Lancaster to work near Preston so I guess she was happy to sort herself out.

Her refusal of my offer was so rudely aggressive that we were both taken aback
I really don't understand why people have to be rude!! A polite 'Thank you but I am fine' would have sufficed!! We need to go back to the good old days of manners!!

tyred

Legendary Member
When I rode the Torr Head coastal route last summer, I came across a middle aged couple sitting on a bench at a bus stop with two fully loaded touring bikes propped against the hedge. I noted he had blood all down his face and on his T-shirt so thinking he had had an accident of some sort, I stopped and asked if he was okay. His wife starting laughing as he explained he had cut himself shaving earlier and couldn't get it to stop bleeding and they had just stopped to eat their lunch.

I stayed talking to them for about half an hour and in that time a guy in a Renault Clio, a young girl on a pony, a group of hikers and another lone cyclist all stopped to ask him if he was okay and he had to repeat the shaving cut story again and again, much to his embarrassment...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I stopped to help a female roadie who was obviously struggling with a puncture.

She had deployed a can of sealant, but it had not worked leaving a sticky mess all over the tyre and tube.

It looked as if the hole was under a patch which had partially lifted.

She was trying to pump the tube with no success, which led me to think the sealant had blocked the valve.

I quickly formed the view it would be next to impossible to get the tyre ridable given the state the tube was in and the limited resources at hand.

It was a relief when she said she would phone International Rescue in the shape of her husband.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
On the way into work one morning a few years back, I came across a young lady on the cycle path who'd obviously just had a spill and had grazed her hand. So I naturally stopped to help, checked the bike for damage and gave her a plaster for the graze on her hand. I always ask if it looks like folk might need some help. It pays back too, whnever I've had to fix a puncture on the Railway Path here in Bristol (If I'm honest, avoiding doing it by shoving a new inner tube in^_^), someone invetibly always stops to ask if I'm ok. It's karma,..man:okay:.

Top Bottom