Taking up cycling again at 60....am I mad!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All, I am a young and fit 60 year old and want to relive my youth so I have purchased a very little used aluminium road bike just after Christmas which I think was a bargain considering it's immaculate condition and has Campagnilo gearing.
In the mean time I have been busy buying all the gear I need from the tool kit to the cloathing and now ready to take to the road.
I am based in North West Northamptonshire and intend to join a cycling club but confess I am a fair weather rider so will wait for the slightly warmer, dry, spring days which will delay my training before joining any club.
Looking forward to getting back on the saddle very soon now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Enjoy.

MikeG

Guru
Our club has 80 year old time trialists. Every year there are plenty of 70 year olds riding Land's End to John O'Groats. Age is no bar to cycling. I'd turn your question around and say that sitting at home on your backside getting fatter and more sedentary would be mad, and that getting out and doing something active may be the sanest choice that anyone could make.

OP
OP
Reggie-rock

Reggie-rock

Our club has 80 year old time trialists. Every year there are plenty of 70 year olds riding Land's End to John O'Groats. Age is no bar to cycling. I'd turn your question around and say that sitting at home on your backside getting fatter and more sedentary would be mad, and that getting out and doing something active may be the sanest choice that anyone could make.
Thanks for your comment, I am doing the right thing then.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of the best cyclists I know is 70 years young. He's also a member of this forum.

Welcome, and enjoy your cycling.

grumpyoldwoman

:welcome:

Welcome along :welcome:You're not mad, in fact you are in a burgeoning group, if anything. Cycling is a great way to keep in good physical condition, and it's got a good social scene attatched as well. It's win / win in my book. Enjoy:bicycle:

Onyer

Oh dear, big mistake. Don't start reading bike magazines as they are full of lovely bikes. Once you are out and have a few miles under your belt it will be N+1. Then a few upgrades. Then a few touring trips with your new mates. Join the club!

OP
OP
Reggie-rock

Reggie-rock

Oh dear, big mistake. Don't start reading bike magazines as they are full of lovely bikes. Once you are out and have a few miles under your belt it will be N+1. Then a few upgrades. Then a few touring trips with your new mates. Join the club!
Not read any cycling mags as yet.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
hello, I re-started cycling at 60 too, now 65. and you have made the right decision. One word of warning though, cycling will eat into your savings big style if you don't watch it. I have now 3 road bikes, Giant, Specialized and Cube, all bought brand new and loads of jerseys, shoes to match colour of bikes etc...But it is all worth it as it takes you out and keeps you fitter than sitting on a chair. Enjoy.

Debade

Über Member
A few years older than you and commute, exercise, and tour. Nearly always with my older wife. We just finished our first tour for this year; 800 miles on the MRT (Mississippi River Trail). from Memphis to New Orleans. On this trip, we were led out of Memphis by two women one in upper 50s and one upper 60.

The only issue you should have is wondering why you waited so long to get back on the bike.

Top Bottom