Taking your bike in a shop due to cr*p cycle parking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If it's the size of a Brompton, and well-trained, then maybe? I've never seen a horse in a shop, I don't know how careful they usually are.
probably better than a bull in a certain shop, but still ill advised.

I've been asked to fold my Brompton in a shop, which usually results in me casually flipping the rear wheel under itself but leaving the rest

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Do any CC'ers say to shop managers why they choose to take their bike in the shop instead of leaving it the couple of crap stands the store provided round the back out of sight whilst the important car drivers suffer no discomfort of having to walk themselves too far?

simongt

Guru
Do any CC'ers say to shop managers why they choose to take their bike in the shop instead of leaving it the couple of crap stands the store provided round the back out of sight whilst the important car drivers suffer no discomfort of having to walk themselves too far?
Indeed. Our local Aldi has the bike stands at the back of the shop near the car park. Which is why every cycle user locks their bike to the railings at the front of the shop.
Point made - ! :okay:

Tenkaykev

Guru
When they built a new Lidl about a mile from us we saw that there were plans for bike racks outside the new store. After they opened there were no racks to be seen so Mrs Tenkaykev raised the issue with the manager in store. As expected he was in the dark about the situation. She emailed the company and a few weeks later work started on installing new bike racks at the side of the store.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
But a bike isn't going to poo or wee unexpectedly on the shop floor or try and eat some of the goods for sale - ! :rofl:

No but in certain areas the rider might :laugh:

I've just tried this today for research purposes.
Local lidl, said unfortunately not as its against their policies, I didnt feel pedantic enough to start asking for a copy of them, im sure an email to customer services would clarify.
Politely asked the reason for this to be told they can cause an obstruction or injury. Pushed a bit to ask why does the same not apply to pushchairs etc to be met with silence and reiterating its just against policy.

Personally I respect their policies if indeed these are in place, I dont think you can compare a bike to a mobility scooter or pushchair for example as these are often necessary to take into store wheras a bike, regardless of inadequate locking facilities isnt really imo.
This being said I do agree with the tone of stores being improved by adding at the very least Sheffield racks for their two wheeled customers. Most of the shops I visit have them anyway or usually have somewhere to lock a bike to.
I imagine the issue of theft would fall under the same as a vehicle parked in a car park 'left at owners risk' type approach. Again I appreciate bikes are potentially targeted more than cars and easier to steal etc but unfortunately is a risk assumed by us cyclists, not that this makes it ok obviously.

pjd57

Veteran
Local M&S food store had a decent covered bike rack.
Then two years ago they started filling it with trolleys.
I would move them and put my bike in.
Staff told me that it was a trolley park. When I pointed out the totally different shaped trolley park 20 feet away they played their Covid joker.
More trolleys , cleaning etc .
Utter lies .

Tom B

Guru
There's a chance that it might trigger a seizure in someone living with epilepsy. There is absolutely no chance of it giving anyone epilepsy.

Agreed. Hence the mirth in the queue.

Call me old-fashioned, but, much as I love her, I can bear to be parted from Minty for the few minutes it takes to do a bit of shopping, I wouldn’t dream of taking her into a shop, and can’t see a reason why I should.

I've just stopped and asked myself that question.

The local convenience shops is because there is absolutely nowhere outside to leave it. It's on a busy junction near a school with a narrow pavement contained roadside by a barrier.

The coop I mentioned has a large carpark and a walkway to the parade of shops. Again there is nothing to lock to or sensibly lean against near the shop. I suppose there is a matter or element of convenience at 6am the store is dead. I didn't see the harm it was doing and was much quicker while I grabbed a few packets of bacon, milk and whatnot. I wouldn't do the same at 9am or 6pm when it's crowded.

The Lidl I mentioned was mid ride. One of those rides where you go out for 5miles and and up 25miles from home on a long loop. I'd popped in for a drink (I'm rather partial to their orange and ginger smoothies as a ride drink) I had no lock and decided to chance it.

While I generally take a lock if I'm planning on shopping my local Morrisons has a security guard at the main entrance who is despite a lack of English usually happy to look after bikes in the foyer. If he sees you locking it up he'll invite you in to leave it behind his post. He usually finds a beer on his shelf at Christmas.

But a bike isn't going to poo or wee unexpectedly on the shop floor or try and eat some of the goods for sale - ! :rofl:

Used to work in a shop (bikes welcome) the only think that weed and pood on the floor was the owners poodle.

Indeed. Our local Aldi has the bike stands at the back of the shop near the car park. Which is why every cycle user locks their bike to the railings at the front of the shop.
Point made - ! :okay:

Agreed. I'm of the view that if you dont mention things to them nothing will change. My mother who is not in the slightest bit a cyclist would never think about cycle provision. I've raised similar at a few places some change things some don't. Like you my local Aldi has cycle provision in the car park. But yet everyone locks to the rails around the trollies.

My little lad is about to start school next year. The school doesn't have a bike store. I've recently moved work location to a place that doesn't have any decent covered storage. I'm surprised to find that despite TFGM investment of millions into active transport (including 4 cyclops junctions within a mile of work) there is no grants or the like for "end of journey" cycling facilities. As someone who has cycled to work everyday without exception for at least 6years. This is something that could actually stop me some days.

I think the Scots version of sustrans have some sort of scheme.

simongt

Guru
Alluding to an earlier post on this thread, apparently in the USA recently, a rancher took his horse into a shop as the sign outside said that pets on leashes were permitted in said shop.
Nuff said - ! :okay: :rofl:

Alluding to an earlier post on this thread, apparently in the USA recently, a rancher took his horse into a shop as the sign outside said that pets on leashes were permitted in said shop.
Nuff said - ! :okay: :rofl:
When I lived in Saudi Arabia in the early 1970s, the hospital administration was rather discomfited by the large number of dogs and cats which the mainly-western residents of the hospital residential compound were 'taking in'. Eventually a hospital-wide decision and announcement was made, that dogs and cats were not permitted but that 'pets in cages' were permitted. I rather suspect TPTB imagined hamsters, budgies and a tank with a few angel fish ...
Someone bought a baboon and someone else, a half-grown tiger ...
Well, they had cages ...

Top Bottom