Taking your bike in a shop due to cr*p cycle parking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it's the size of a Brompton, and well-trained, then maybe? I've never seen a horse in a shop, I don't know how careful they usually are.
Didn't realise it had to specifically be a Trumpton, I thought it was a post about taking full sized bikes into shops?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You can, it’s ridiculous that parents think their kids can go anywhere. Their shop, their rules
When we had a shop I sometimes had discussions with parents of out of control children who were causing damage. The kids were completely unchecked in their behaviour and I had no hesitation in telling them to go outside with their brats.

Tom B

Guru
I have mixed experiences the Local co-op which I've been using at 6am for the last five years recently decided I wasnt allowed to push my bike into the entrance while I got the £30-40 worth of team weekly breakfast stuff and turfed me out. Their loss. But cant say they had many people queuing up spending that sort of money at that time. I wrote to them to suggest they installed a bike rack... But nothing. The local milkman+ won a £40 order.

A local grotty newsagents kicked off about my bike being in the shop but only after I'd paid. Id just cleaned it and it was spotless, unlike the filthy shop.. I looked him up and down and around the shop, queried if the cleaner would be back soon and left.

Popped the bike in a Lidl once slipped it in the back unused part of the packing area, grabbed a bottle of juice and waited pay. The rear light was on a steady gentle flowing flash pattern, nothing too eye-catching but the cashier on another till went nuts and started shouting at me to turn it off because "it could give someone epilepsy". The queue laughing didn't seem to be the expected response... But that's Leigh for you.

Meanwhile the local propper pub is more than happy to have the bike in the back door. The local pretentious "tap" that appears more to be a gin palace won't have it in the beer garden let alone the pub.

Indeed. I very recently joined U3A and there was a rather surprised response when I asked about cycle parking at the place used as a venue for several of the groups I want to join ...
Well, I'll find out on Tuesday morning! It is only 50m from the bus stop; that's fine for wet, cold, windy days - but involves a minimum of two buses so not something I want to do regularly, especially as on the map it looks like there's a cut-through which makes it quite an easy bike ride.
Replying to myself here.
No, they have no cycle racks but were totally happy for me to bring my bike into the main building; I actually folded it and left it behind a solid screen - locked to said screen - in a stone-floored large porch (there was a wheelbarrow behind a screen there, too) even though they said they were happy for me to leave it in the reception area. But that was carpeted (an outdoor carpet sort of thing, not a plush carpet) and I'd ridden for a mile and a half along the canal towpath so I thanked them very much and said I was perfectly happy to leave it in the porch.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have mixed experiences the Local co-op which I've been using at 6am for the last five years recently decided I wasnt allowed to push my bike into the entrance while I got the £30-40 worth of team weekly breakfast stuff and turfed me out. Their loss. But cant say they had many people queuing up spending that sort of money at that time. I wrote to them to suggest they installed a bike rack... But nothing. The local milkman+ won a £40 order.

A local grotty newsagents kicked off about my bike being in the shop but only after I'd paid. Id just cleaned it and it was spotless, unlike the filthy shop.. I looked him up and down and around the shop, queried if the cleaner would be back soon and left.

Popped the bike in a Lidl once slipped it in the back unused part of the packing area, grabbed a bottle of juice and waited pay. The rear light was on a steady gentle flowing flash pattern, nothing too eye-catching but the cashier on another till went nuts and started shouting at me to turn it off because "it could give someone epilepsy". The queue laughing didn't seem to be the expected response... But that's Leigh for you.

Meanwhile the local propper pub is more than happy to have the bike in the back door. The local pretentious "tap" that appears more to be a gin palace won't have it in the beer garden let alone the pub.
There's a chance that it might trigger a seizure in someone living with epilepsy. There is absolutely no chance of it giving anyone epilepsy.

Top Bottom