Taking your bike in a shop due to cr*p cycle parking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would walk straight out of any bikeshop that wouldn't let me go in with a bike. Have resisted calls from Evans in the past to put my bike in one of their wheelbenders just inside the front door.
I don't really go in Evans these days anyway - no need of.
Decathlons let you walk around with a bike.
Likewise, I don't really go in to Evans particularly as they are now owned by Mike Ashley. But if I had have gone in and was challenged about wheeling my bike around the store I would ask them whether they allow parents (customers) with children who are in pushchairs to come in. If they do, I would ask them to explain the difference between that and a bike from the presumably highly dubious 'health and safety' hazard they are attributing to wheeling a bike around their store.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
To be fair many parents put their kids in shopping trolleys which is a bigger hygiene issue
Brommie owners often use that line. 🙂 But you cannot ban children from shops.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The whole point of my thread was that so many retailers provide car parking as a must, if they bother at all about cycle parking it is usually, not always, an out of the way spot that you wouldn't want to leave your pride and joy. By taking my bike in I am highlighting that their provision is crap and in this day and age it should be a thing what with the climate change, local travel initiatives etc.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
The whole point of my thread was that so many retailers provide car parking as a must, if they bother at all about cycle parking it is usually, not always, an out of the way spot that you wouldn't want to leave your pride and joy. By taking my bike in I am highlighting that their provision is crap and in this day and age it should be a thing what with the climate change, local travel initiatives etc.
I believe we had another thread, for the life of me can't remember what it was about, where one witty user mentioned that building developments need to provide something called a 'transport plan' or 'travel plan' - something along those lines. As part of that plan, they outline how they will enable bicycle users to come to the shop and provide them with appropriate parking space. If they fail to do that in practice, they're in breach of BREEAM and thus in breach of their planning permission. I.e. - if your shop doesn't have bicycle parking area or you find it inappropriate or obstructed - flag it with the planning authorities. The response is supposedly quite swift.

All uphill

Still rolling along
About three years ago I locked my old bike to a lampost outside St John St Cycles in Bridgwater and popped in to buy the bits I needed.

The person who served me seemed a bit edgy and I asked if there was a problem. Had I jumbled my words? Trousers unzipped?

No, he said, but he'd be much happier if I'd bring my bike into the shop.^_^

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Out of curiosity, when you attempt to take your bike in a shop, are you wearing cycling gear ( lycra, jersey, helmet and cleat shoes ) ?

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Out of curiosity, when you attempt to take your bike in a shop, are you wearing cycling gear ( lycra, jersey, helmet and cleat shoes ) ?
I refuse to dress up to ride a bicycle. Totally unnecessary as I don't race and use my bike as daily transport and touring. Everything someone does with a car basically and utilise public transport with the bike when needed.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You could also hassle your local council to install more bike stands. I did and got some put in outside one of the shops I use regularly. At the same time they installed some in three other locations.

Top Bottom