Taking your bike in a shop due to cr*p cycle parking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aldi quite often has decent bike parking/racks - Lidl virtually never - must get in touch with them.
Where I am, the Aldi I go to has got no cycle parking - the security guard is happy for you to lock bikes to the far end of the trolley bays, and will keep an eye open for them - but the Lidl has got what could be a nice undercover space - if it weren't round the corner out of sight from the entrance and about as far away as you can get from the trolleys. So whatever/whichever way round you organise yourself, either your shopping trolley with all your shopping has to be abandoned out of sight while you go and fetch your bike, OR your bike with all the shopping loaded onto it has to be abandoned out of sight while you put the trolley back. Hence I usually find somewhere else to lock my bike, like at one end of the enormous trolley bay so that I can keep an eye on both bike and shopping ...

Mr. Cow

Über Member
It would be nice to be able to nip in the shop on the way home from work but my worry about locking up outside is I know when I return there will be bits missing from the bike or the lock will have been grinded off (rough area). I tried it once in Asda and got told to leave by security (I only wanted milk and a loaf). Also it felt a bit impractical wheeling the bike around while holding stuff.
I think you are right though about the whole mentality that "anyone not arriving by car must be weird".
I just walk or drive if big shop.

simongt

Guru
If folds, you can surely take it with you?
As I go into various shops and the famous Norwich market buying my weekly necessaries, why lump an extra 12kg. around with me which serves no useful purpose whilst I'm buying things that I can get into my rucksac - ? :wacko:
And the GLW, also a Brommy owner, agrees with me - ! :okay:

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It would be nice to be able to nip in the shop on the way home from work but my worry about locking up outside is I know when I return there will be bits missing from the bike or the lock will have been grinded off (rough area). I tried it once in Asda and got told to leave by security (I only wanted milk and a loaf). Also it felt a bit impractical wheeling the bike around while holding stuff.
I think you are right though about the whole mentality that "anyone not arriving by car must be weird".
I just walk or drive if big shop.
I sadly am a tenacious sod and and if you can go round in a bl**dy great mobility scooter or a triple buggy then I can push a bike round! I have a bike stand so no problem.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have started to walk my bike regularly in the bigger stores. I always, well nearly always get approached by a staff member and I politely explain that to their utter lack of adequate cycle parking if they want my custom my bike comes too. I also point out the number of kids buggies, dog buggies, mobility scooters already in the store and ask them to justify where does it say I cannot do this. Always polite but do get some ar*ey security who if they ever had to chase me would probably have a heart attack before they got 30 feet.
I have to try that now!

There's a garden centre near me that actively encourages you to bring your bike in - they'll hold the door open for you, too. Needless to say they get lots of business from me.

Where I am, the Aldi I go to has got no cycle parking - the security guard is happy for you to lock bikes to the far end of the trolley bays, and will keep an eye open for them - but the Lidl has got what could be a nice undercover space - if it weren't round the corner out of sight from the entrance and about as far away as you can get from the trolleys. So whatever/whichever way round you organise yourself, either your shopping trolley with all your shopping has to be abandoned out of sight while you go and fetch your bike, OR your bike with all the shopping loaded onto it has to be abandoned out of sight while you put the trolley back. Hence I usually find somewhere else to lock my bike, like at one end of the enormous trolley bay so that I can keep an eye on both bike and shopping ...
am not saying all Aldis good at all, but I do find generally better than Lidl.
Is the Lidl handy space you mention a proper place with Sheffield racks and provided by Lidl?
I only know one Lidl that provides its own bike racks - near Surrey Quays (previously known as Surrey Docks before it tried to give folks the impression that it was in the sunmissed Med) in south east London.

Last edited:
I have to try that now!

There's a garden centre near me that actively encourages you to bring your bike in - they'll hold the door open for you, too. Needless to say they get lots of business from me.
i do sometimes make a point of wheeling my bike into a bike shop.
You can probably imagine the reaction they would get from me if they turned their noses up at me.
decathlon causes no issues though they do try to encourage you to use their questionable inside parking space.

the whole mentality that "anyone not arriving by car must be weird".
Indeed. I very recently joined U3A and there was a rather surprised response when I asked about cycle parking at the place used as a venue for several of the groups I want to join ...
Well, I'll find out on Tuesday morning! It is only 50m from the bus stop; that's fine for wet, cold, windy days - but involves a minimum of two buses so not something I want to do regularly, especially as on the map it looks like there's a cut-through which makes it quite an easy bike ride.

As I go into various shops and the famous Norwich market buying my weekly necessaries, why lump an extra 12kg. around with me which serves no useful purpose whilst I'm buying things that I can get into my rucksac - ? :wacko:
And the GLW, also a Brommy owner, agrees with me - ! :okay:
your choice - good luck.
Not sure why the "famousness" of Norwich market is relevant.
Lots of famous places in London.
I still wouldn't lock my brommie outside them.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Indeed. I very recently joined U3A and there was a rather surprised response when I asked about cycle parking at the place used as a venue for several of the groups I want to join ...
Well, I'll find out on Tuesday morning! It is only 50m from the bus stop; that's fine for wet, cold, windy days - but involves a minimum of two buses so not something I want to do regularly, especially as on the map it looks like there's a cut-through which makes it quite an easy bike ride.

Your opportunity to start a U3A Cycling Group (if there isn't one already) ;)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Lol I went in a supermarket in Penzance. It's rough so thought it would be easier to take my bike in rathe than loose it.

I got to the till and got off started paying before the security caught me up .:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lifetime ban from Tesco thee isn't a hardship
Yep done similar in Sainsburys, walked in and went to the centre aisle and the security bloke started following me shouting "Oi" but I'd got headphones on (no music but I'm still wearing em) walked to the far end where the booze is and went down the cross aisle grabbing the bottle of Single Malt and carrying on to the front aisle where the tills are.Went to the nearest one to the door that was open and the girl had scanned it and I'd given her the £20 by the time he caught me up (red faced and puffing) "You can't bring that in here" he wheezed, by this time I'd got the Whisky in my bag and was just pocketing my change. I took my headphones off and said "pardon" so he repeated himself so I just said "Sorry" and left.

some ar*ey security who if they ever had to chase me would probably have a heart attack before they got 30 feet.
Yep this guy looked like he was gonna keel over, younger than me too by the look of him.

BTW this was at @6:45 AM Friday morning and I'd just finished my 4th 12hr nightshift of the week.

Is the Lidl handy space you mention a proper place with Sheffield racks and provided by Lidl?
Oh yes. It would be perfect if it were within view of anything remotely sensible like the entrance to the shop, the trolley bay or the car park. Instead it is a sort of indent in the rear corner of the building next to a main road and an electricity substation. I will grant you that I've never had a problem there, and quite often there is a bike or two parked there, but I'm ... wary. I usually lock my bike to something at the front of the shop which is highly visible from the other few shops there and the car-park.

Top Bottom