Taking your cat for a walk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
Quite often I have pulled up at French service areas and seen cats being taken for walks. Sometimes on a lead, sometimes not. Once they had a dog and a cat and both wandered around together! One of our cats is quite happy in a car but hates being in a cat box.

Also I have seen cats taken camping in France and they seem perfectly happy.

GM

Legendary Member
I bet you were popular after that?

Been in the dog house ever since!

Berties

Fast and careful!
I have seen a chap in Salisbury with the cat at heal in the town,but you can get leads for ferrets now that would be a laugh ,a lady in our village used to take her goat for a walk on a special goat lead

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have seen a chap in Salisbury with the cat at heal in the town,but you can get leads for ferrets now that would be a laugh ,a lady in our village used to take her goat for a walk on a special goat lead
I know of a chap who used to take a couple of pigmy goats out for walks. People would think they were dogs, as they are that size, until they saw the horns and goats jumping up to eat the lower leaves from the trees.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Boushti got run over one night while he was prowling. He recovered quickly and wanted out soon after but he'd get frightened and hide, not returning for several days. So I got a harness for him and from time to time I'd take him out to the communal garden and let him wander around and sniff for a bit. After a while- quite a long while- he returned to his old prowling behaviour, returning in the morning for a feed. I've no idea if the harness helped though.

Now we've moved to a place with a catflap, he comes and goes all the time.

Here he is just after getting back from the vet, despite the injured legs he jumped up to one of his basking places to catch some early evening sun.

P8060004.jpg

When one of out cats had kittens(7 off long-haired piebald), it was quite a sight to see Mme HF or me walking round the gardens followed by mother cat then her 5 to 6 week old kittens in a line with a totally unrelated ginger ex-tom cat bringing up the rear.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I lived in Southsea a long time ago while "studying" at Portsmouth Poly. A friend of mine lived just down the street in this attic room in a crumbling house and his landlord (a really old guy, and, OK, at the time I expect 35 year olds looked really old to me but this guy was proper old, like 85 or something) would walk his cat in the street outside the house every evening- he said it would run off otherwise.

He wasn't a very good landlord when it came to getting taps fixed and stuff, but the rent was well cheap.

One of my cats loved going for walks. BUT - I never took her, she just ... chose to come with me, when the mood suited her.

The longest walk she did with me was 7 or 8 miles. Not on a lead though - she'd find her own path to keep up with me, sometimes on the pavement beside me, sometimes through the hedges and gardens. Her only concession to the human being with her was to allow herself to be picked up to cross busy roads.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
One of my cats loved going for walks. BUT - I never took her, she just ... chose to come with me, when the mood suited her.

The longest walk she did with me was 7 or 8 miles. Not on a lead though - she'd find her own path to keep up with me, sometimes on the pavement beside me, sometimes through the hedges and gardens. Her only concession to the human being with her was to allow herself to be picked up to cross busy roads.
So you actually took her with you? Whenever my cat starts following me or my dad when we go out for a walk, we always make sure she doesnt follow us because we dont want her to get lost (even though she probably goes further distances on her own).

I had no choice :smile: - if she felt like a walk, she came with me.

The only time she sort of got lost - I'd walked up to Tesco and she stopped about half way there. I thought nothing of it - guessed she'd find her own way home. And without thinking walked a slightly different route back.

Except she'd decided to wait in a hedge for me to pass by on my way back ........ as I found when I retraced my steps several hours later!

Top Bottom