Taking your dead with you when you move

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A daughter of a friend of my mother was dying from cancer. She was late forties, and she'd been battling it for several years. It was clear there was nothing left to do, except make plans.

She'd lost an infant, who was buried in the cemetery of the town they lived in at the time. This town was 100s of kilometres from where she and her family lived now, and no one in her family extended family lived near there. Her husband wanted her buried with the baby. She wanted to buried near her family, where she had lived and her other children had grown up. This was a source of distress to her. So her mother (the baby's grandmother) arranged to have the baby exhumed and cremated (you have to cremate exhumed remains in Australia), so that the baby could be re-interred with his mother.

I found this beautiful, and was also pleased that it gave a woman in her seventies something useful she could to that was a genuine comfort to her dying daughter.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I was told, by the police, that should you find a skeleton, or the better part of one on your land, you're supposed to inform them. So they can rule out human remains and foul play.
What if you find the remains of a chicken ?

I had wondered if there was a way around death duties. Bury me in a cardboard box in the back garden (I know there are a few rules to comply with, but otherwise no reason not to). Hopefully thus making the house a lot less desirable and knock down the value enough to have it below tax threshold to pass on to the kids - they can break out the shovels later on. George Osbourne seems to have saved me the dilemma though.
You can't take it with you but...

ayceejay

Guru
The mother of some friends of mine left instructions that she was to be cremated and her ashes spread in the flower beds of a public park she used to enjoy. My friends being upstanding citizens asked permission if the local authority and were refused. What followed was inspired by the Great Escape but the mother got her wish.

classic33

Leg End Member
I had wondered if there was a way around death duties. Bury me in a cardboard box in the back garden (I know there are a few rules to comply with, but otherwise no reason not to). Hopefully thus making the house a lot less desirable and knock down the value enough to have it below tax threshold to pass on to the kids - they can break out the shovels later on. George Osbourne seems to have saved me the dilemma though.
You can't take it with you but...
Like this you mean?
CoffinPage.jpg

Im an Archaeologist,give me a shout if you need a hand!:okay:
Can't have witnesses. You'd be under the new one!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
When Mr WD expires (Which could be sooner than he is expecting) im going to bury him in the field, and I have no Intention of taking him with me if I move. Once the bugger is dead and burried, that's where he is staying.

postman

Legendary Member
I want my ashes spreading in Otley or in the river near Langstrothdale,past Yockenthwaite.
528499_2863632750333_593877877_n.jpg

Top Bottom