Taking your dead with you when you move

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was brought up next door to a cemetery. Every now and then i'd see a screen around a grave, then a car driving away with a covered box in it. The last time i saw this happen was about 30 years ago, a family were moving miles away and were taking their relative who'd been dead for over 30 years with them. Being nosey i had to go and have a look after they'd left. The stink was pretty bad, now this could be due to the quality of the clay like soil more than the actual body as there mustn't have been anything left apart from a skeleton. I was told you have to pay lots of money to the authorities in charge for body removal.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...criticises-trend-taking-loved-ones-people-hom
I know there's tribe in Africa than digs relatives up every 7 years,then they wash the skeleton, give it a new shroud then have a bit of a party for it. Then they put it back in the ground for another 7 years.
Would you take a dead relative with you if you moved house for example,if so why?:smile:

lee1980sim

Nope they're dead all you're taking is bones not the relative who if you're that bothered will be with you in memory

Plus my relatives have been cremated

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My dad took the headstones from his two dogs that had been buried on the farm when they sold up. Relatives I would leave, but I'd go and visit the grave occasionally. I know that it's been written into my parents will that I've been left some money specifically to get the family headstones cleaned properly in NI every now and again.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My dad took the headstones from his two dogs that had been buried on the farm when they sold up. Relatives I would leave, but I'd go and visit the grave occasionally. I know that it's been written into my parents will that I've been left some money specifically to get the family headstones cleaned properly in NI every now and again.

I know of a bloke who buried his dog in a very big plant pot about the size of a small ornamental garden pond so that if/when he moves he can take it with him. Many people bury their pets in their gardens but don't think about if/when they move and how the new house occupiers will react if they decide to dig the garden up and find a doggie skeleton.
I buried my rabbit and two of my daughter's hamsters in my grandparents grave. When i say in i mean a foot or less on top, but if the authorities knew i'd be in trouble! It's nice though to know they're on consecrated ground, after all we're all god's creatures so they tell us.

classic33

Leg End Member
I know of a bloke who buried his dog in a very big plant pot about the size of a small ornamental garden pond so that if/when he moves he can take it with him. Many people bury their pets in their gardens but don't think about if/when they move and how the new house occupiers will react if they decide to dig the garden up and find a doggie skeleton.
I buried my rabbit and two of my daughter's hamsters in my grandparents grave. When i say in i mean a foot or less on top, but if the authorities knew i'd be in trouble! It's nice though to know they're on consecrated ground, after all we're all god's creatures so they tell us.
I was told, by the police, that should you find a skeleton, or the better part of one on your land, you're supposed to inform them. So they can rule out human remains and foul play.

matiz

Guru
Bro in law has been a gravedigger in the midlands for the last 30yrs he occasionly gets one of these exhumations,it involves early morning crack of dawn digs before the general public are up ,large screens round the grave and undertakers and council officials in attendance he must have planted thousands of folks over the years but he gets a bit upset having to dig them up again .

Top Bottom