Tale of two rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Had a great ride in this morning, sunny and dry so decided to wear shorts, most of the 20 traffic lights I have to go through were on green, I got from the Preston Streets junction in Newington to the High St without having to stop.

Then this evening coming home again the wind was blowing 22mph gusting 32mph, and there was a heavy shower to boot. It was so warm I didn't feel cold even though I was wearing shorts, the odd thing was the drivers were just leaving me alone, maybe it was my HiVis legs. Despite the wind and rain I really enjoyed it unlike, I suspect, the drivers who would be complaining about the cold and wet.

Ironically 10 minutes after I got home the cloud cleared (briefly) and I could see the stars. If I hadn't been in such a rush to leave work I could have avoided the rain, which what I usually do.

Lovely ride home last pm on the front of the wind, lecky bike woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Into same wind this am, whipped by stinging rain, half flat lecky bike.
ooooow!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
This morning - Leith to Edinburgh Park at the Gyle - dry and warm but with a ferociously gusting headwind.

Tonight going homewards - strong wind at my back but torrential rain. Like Hairyjock, I was lovely and warm (though utterly drenched) and loved every second of it, although at times it was a bit difficult seeing through rain-covered protective glasses, especially where there was a bright light / dark background contrast :smile: Paths mostly clear of pedestrians and dogwalkers, given the conditions.

Workmates think I mad, but I still maintain that there is no more fun to be had than streaking through the rain and splashing through puddles, grinning like an idiot...

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
goo_mason said:
Workmates think I mad, but I still maintain that there is no more fun to be had than streaking through the rain and splashing through puddles, grinning like an idiot...

Yea is good isn't :smile:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
You wear a jacket when it rains ? Ya big jessie !!! :blush::biggrin::biggrin:

My only concession to rain is my waterproof rucksack cover and my overshoes. Jackets are for girls unless it's a many degrees below zero and the rain is belting down :smile:

bonj2

Felt like a force nine hurricane on the way in this morning, but wasn't actually too bad. On the way home, had south-westerly, but am heading north-north-west, so slightly behind me but fookin 'ell, the crosswinds!! aaaghh!

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Felt like a force nine hurricane on the way in this morning, but wasn't actually too bad. On the way home, had south-westerly, but am heading north-north-west, so slightly behind me but fookin 'ell, the crosswinds!! aaaghh!

I think you'll find Force Nine is merely a Severe Gale. Hurricanes are Force Twelve. Ten is Storm, Eleven is Violent Storm.

All those hours of lying awake listening to the shipping forecast...

But still, headwinds and crosswinds are a right bugger!

goo_mason said:
You wear a jacket when it rains ? Ya big jessie !!! :sad::biggrin::biggrin:

My only concession to rain is my waterproof rucksack cover and my overshoes. Jackets are for girls unless it's a many degrees below zero and the rain is belting down :smile:

Damn you got me! :smile:

I really wear it for its luminous properties. The fact that it is waterproof is irrelevant. In fact it makes me sweat more and work harder (due to increased wind resistance) so there!!!:blush:

Tetedelacourse

The worst thing about the rain is the reduced visibility, especially in the dark. There are long stretches of unlit streets on my commute and detecting potholes is nigh on impossible in the rain. For that reason, I dislike it greatly.

Say what you like about jackets Goo & Magna, only bufties wear helmets.

Tetedelacourse said:
The worst thing about the rain is the reduced visibility, especially in the dark. There are long stretches of unlit streets on my commute and detecting potholes is nigh on impossible in the rain. For that reason, I dislike it greatly.

Say what you like about jackets Goo & Magna, only bufties wear helmets.

Not true. As far as I am aware, wearing a helmet increases my risk of rotational head injury due to the increased cross-sectional area of my head-contact surface during a fall. So in fact Tete, I think your the Buftie :smile:

Maz,

Yes I think it is local slang. It's a fairly polite way of saying your a big jessie (TM)

Tynan

Veteran
I hate hearing that shoot about rotational force and cross section, your head weighs a lot, the helmet piss all

come the day (not wishing it on you) that you crack your skull into a road, you'll wish you'd been wearing a helmet, I cracked my helmet big time in my last accident, and that was with my whole body rotating five odd feet up in the air, I really don't think the helmet added anything to that

by all means make your own choice but do not justify your decision by arguing that it's safer not to wear one, that's not even sophistry

there

Top Bottom