Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Gears stopped working with 15 miles to go this morning, cable doesn't look like it has snapped. Stuck in the smallest cog at the back, had to walk up one hill. Fiddled with the screws on the derailleur and got it to go to one cog up, should be fun going home tonight.

Weather wise, the wind wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting

Gears stopped working with 15 miles to go this morning, cable doesn't look like it has snapped. Stuck in the smallest cog at the back, had to walk up one hill. Fiddled with the screws on the derailleur and got it to go to one cog up, should be fun going home tonight.

@Supersuperleeds There's a great video on youtube by GCN about emergency fixes for broken rear derailleurs, can't link to it at work as youtube is blocked. You may be able to adjust the chain further up the cog for those hills.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Horrible muddy slippery ride up Beacon Lane towards Winterbourne in the dark last night. Reminds me why I don't go that way so often. Back wheel skittish !

We need some heavy showers to rinse the mud off the roads. This morning one part of my commute in was also rather muddy despite last night's showers.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok ride, cold (warm gillet again!) and I managed to hit a pedestrian - though to be honest he ran into me whilst I was stationary (group of kids running and shouting to each other rather than looking where they were going), I didn't ring my bell as I stupidly thought he wouldn't actually run into me! No harm done and he apologised a couple of times so obviously feeling guilty!

paul04

Über Member

Had the same problem on my MTB, had to manually adjust the gears till I got home(moved the derailleur with my hand, then turned the pedals by hand until it was in the correct gear)

Took me a bit to work out the problem, it would got down the gears but not up. the inner cable was seized and would not move, had to replace the gear cable and it was fine.

Wet and miserable ride home! Had to ride in the middle of the road at one point as the bike lane was full of puddles/hidden potholes and washed up debris. I was easily keeping pace of the traffic in front, if anything being slowed down by it. Naturally the arse behind me couldn't stand that a lowly cyclist was one pole position ahead and started tooting. Shortly later I had the classic "Get in the cycle lane, that what it's there for" as he passes aggressively and cutting me off. Not only is he an incompetent driver, he's clearly blind or a bit special if he expects that I might ride through the river at the side of the road so his clapped out car can be 3 meters further forward. I laughed merrily as he immediately gets caught up in the silly traffic and I filter past giving him a casual double birdie. :angel:

This is the second time I have come across this odd behaviour in a week, I can only imagine it's brought on by a sudden realisation that the driver is getting nowhere fast and needs to blame the nearest person.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Had the same problem on my MTB, had to manually adjust the gears till I got home(moved the derailleur with my hand, then turned the pedals by hand until it was in the correct gear)

Took me a bit to work out the problem, it would got down the gears but not up. the inner cable was seized and would not move, had to replace the gear cable and it was fine.

Rear cogs won't change at all, press the lever and it clicks but nothing else happens, got it booked in for Saturday for the lbs to sort out.

Just taken the ice tyres off the Sirrus and put normal tyres back on it for the next two days

BigAl68

Über Member
Windy with a bit of rain but what happened to the "weather bomb"? Still in 3/4 bibs but did use my thicker jacket this morning.

Top Bottom