Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My roads to work were awfully muddy today, the early morning rain had made everything wet and sticky. I may change the route home as my bike's in a disgraceful state.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I did get wet and the thought of the rain following me on the way home made me cycle a little bit faster despite it being Friday. I didn't bother putting waterproofs on so ended up getting wet then feeling very very cold. Warming up with a blanket and a coffee which was shown the whiskey bottle, so starting to feel better.

Managed to have 3 bad interactions with cars, all on the one road where I meet the worst driving in Bristol regularly so have come to expect the bad passes etc!

donnydave

Über Member
wet, but who cares when there's a 20mph tail wind! Haven't cycled for over a week due to various work commitments requiring driving but it was a welcome return. Got some good use of absolute top maximum gear which sadly is only 50-11, could have used 52-11, need to buy a bigger chainring!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Only ridden in twice this week due to having TWO nasty offs on the same roundabout, one on Monday and the other on Thursday during the recovery ride ! Both times I set off from the line and Whooooosh,I was eating tarmac :cry: It was like crashing on black ice with no warning at all, luckily on both occasions I had great motorists around me who either slowed to see if I was fine or in one case a nurse stopped to check me out by the roadside. My Wife was fuming and has reported the offending area to the council and insisted they send a claims form for the scuffed bits on both my Hybrid and Fixie. I now have matching scuffs on both knees and a very bruised thumb :thumbsup: Back in the saddle for full commutes after being fed up with commuting on four wheels. Take care out there everyone,the roads a super greasy still

raleighnut

Legendary Member
wet, but who cares when there's a 20mph tail wind! Haven't cycled for over a week due to various work commitments requiring driving but it was a welcome return. Got some good use of absolute top maximum gear which sadly is only 50-11, could have used 52-11, need to buy a bigger chainring!
Nice to get a good 'tromp' on innit, but my quick bike runs a 53-12 top and I don't run out of gears til 45-50 mph or so ( its got a near 'corncob' cassette on as a TT set-up that is one tooth bigger up to 8th then 2 teeth on 9&10) and that's plenty for me.

howdenbiker

Not a bad ride in with the wind behind me but a nightmare return, wind and rain. 55 minutes journey this morning took 65 mins on the way back. Made slightly more enjoyable as it was the first outing of my first Garmin and loaded up the results when I got back.

Really strong wind pushing me to work this morning so I was expecting the worst tonight but I was delighted to find that although the wind was strong it was the kind I could easily cut through :wacko: So the only thing of note, it was 90% in the light/twilight :thumbsup:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Wet and breezy for the trip home but a sense of satisfaction at conpleting another 250+ mile commuting week. Looking forward this year to smashing 400 miles over the five days, just missed out last year, not this time round...
@MickeyBlueEyes

I managed to do this this week, was glad that I only needed a short ride today to finish it as my legs are pretty tired. It made me realise even more how impressive Steven Abraham's quest is, he is doing it every two days.

fribbleblib

It must be nation bad driver day today.

Number 1 was the driver of a small white van. Having turned left I stayed in the middle of the lane to avoid potholes to my left and because I was turning right at the next junction just ahead. So I shoulder check, indicate, shoulder check and move to the right of the lane. Just as I'm about to turn the small white van is right next to me to my right. I must've shouted WTF louder than I thought because he turned right then stopped.

He must have been down the south of Wiltshire this evening. How he even squeezed past me when I was right in the middle of the road between two mini roundabouts and approaching some traffic lights, I do not know.

This was the third of the three most frightening incidents I have ever had...... all this week too.

Am now looking forwards to a half term holiday with my son. We will be having lots of bike rides together.

andyfraser

Über Member
He must have been down the south of Wiltshire this evening. How he even squeezed past me when I was right in the middle of the road between two mini roundabouts and approaching some traffic lights, I do not know.

This was the third of the three most frightening incidents I have ever had...... all this week too.

Am now looking forwards to a half term holiday with my son. We will be having lots of bike rides together.
I wish I knew what went through the minds of these drivers who make the most dangerous manoeuvres.

Biscuit

Legendary Member
It's always the opposite to you guys so I had a nice tailwind in this morning which will leave the afternoon commute a bit of a bugger.

Snap! Lovely ride in :dance:......ride home was ...well... less fun. :thumbsdown:

Mini driver turned right across the front of me this morning in Haverhill. Had an opportunity to stove in the wing and do a hollywood stunt roll across the bonnet, collecting the insurance payout on route. Instead I went right and round the back of em. I'm guessing the driver behind had flashed em in and the mini driver never saw me.

Bike show tomorrow. bring it on! :bicycle:

Top Bottom