Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Got caught in a "headwind hail storm" at Ashley - face stinging and could not really see (sometimes I wish I had hair!). Not much fun - but it had passed in a couple of minutes.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Another cold ride into work this morning, brilliant blue sky, freezing cold wind and cars iced up again, roll on spring, I'm getting fed up of winter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cold and windy. Huge chunk of glass defeated my rear Durano Plus so had to stop just 2 miles from work. Lots of folk asked if I had everything.

Refitted fixed gear chain and it sounded like a grinder. Chain and sprocket need replacing. I run evens on the sprockets so the chain always sits in the same place. As ive not had a need to remove the wheel the chain has been sitting In the same teeth for some months. Ive moved the chain along one tooth and its quiet.

New chain, sprocket and chain ring ordered.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Lovely ride in this morning, extended to do a 36 miler. Headwind from 10 miles in for a further 22 miles was certainly telling on the legs, a gear or two up from where is normally sit to overcome it. There's nothing you can really do in a constant headwind, just head down and spin through it!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cam I just check the etiquette regarding cycle paths, do you treat them like roads and ride on the left?
Most cyclists on most paths keep to the left hand side of the direction they are traveling in, as you would on the road. However many paths are marked up showing a cycle lane side and a pedestrian side. Some cyclists will only cycle on the cycle path side of the cycle lane, which means they may meet cyclists coming towards them on that side. I have one stretch for 1 mile where the cyclists do keep to the side marked and the pedestrians mostly keep to the side marked pedestrian, and that is the only section I cycle on the right hand side (well more towards the middle when travelling on what seems like the right hand side). I think it's due to a lot of the pedestrians coming out of a train station and going into the MOD in a block meaning that it would be chaos if there where cyclists trying to ride on both sides of the path.

potsy

Rambler
Cold and windy. Huge chunk of glass defeated my rear Durano Plus so had to stop just 2 miles from work. Lots of folk asked if I had everything.

Refitted fixed gear chain and it sounded like a grinder. Chain and sprocket need replacing. I run evens on the sprockets so the chain always sits in the same place. As ive not had a need to remove the wheel the chain has been sitting In the same teeth for some months. Ive moved the chain along one tooth and its quiet.

New chain, sprocket and chain ring ordered.
Now you've finally defeated the D+ you know what you have to try next don't you?... :laugh:

Actually I've just put a D+ on the rear of the single-speed, I now have mismatched tyres and widths front and rear, this could affect my ocd quite badly :ohmy:

Rode the MTB on slicks along the canal today. Pluses, no traffic, no people and beautiful scenery to begin with. Negatives, MTB appears to weigh the same as a Churchill tank, it's longer, and towards the end the canal heads through some galloping s**t holes.
Tomorrow at 0500hrs it's back on the racer, going to have another bash at the canal on lates.

There are occassions when not using a cyclepath is approriate and some where it is, but we could debate that for days,I arrive home/work a lot calmer for not duelling with people on the A13.( were talikng the A13 out of town not Canning town to inner london)
Anyway this evenings ride home was brilliant fun. A mile in after Canning Town Station a very tall, athletic guy, late 20's early 30s went passed me on a unmarked black road bike, deep section wheels in all black kit with a massive beard. I immediately thought, you have got to let him go, no way can you stay with him. However he had all the advantages on me bar one. He seemed to be carrying all his wordly possesions in a massive rucksack. I shadowed him from 20 -30ft back. He was sprinting out of corners and after negotiating obstacles.
However on the open sections his pack's non aero profile was slowing him down. We had a great tailwind and we were wafting along in the mid 20's sweeping up everyone in our path.

We carried on like this for 9 miles, he would get away at junctions, I would close him down on the open sections and up hills. Finally I thought this has gone on long enough I have to find out how far this guy is going. Then he had to slow for a junction so I made a push and came up beside him. I wondered if he was going to be really pissed of with me for chasing him but no he was delighted with me inspiring him to push on. Turned out he only had a mile to go ( I had a futher 13) .
So now I knew he only had a mile to shake me off, He seemed to really go for it through Dagenham, he would not let me lead and once when I went past he immediately put a sprint on. every light was at green so no respite, but no way was I dropping off after lasting this long. We said our goodbyes as he turned off. I then realised I had kicked the arse out of it and had a headache coming on as I had drunk nothing. I slowed and drank and slowly headache subsided. Rest of the journey done at a slower rate but still grinning like a cheshire cat.

Last edited:

BigAl68

Über Member
When badgers attack. I haven't had a run in with the Bitton badgers for over a year but this morning I was almost knocked off by one. This wasn't the big old grumpy one that would face off with me then charge at me last spring.

I was crossing the railway tracks at Avon valley railway when a young badger came out of the undergrowth like a steam train and ran straight into my right side hitting the crank and my foot, I went sideways into the fence and somehow managed to stay upright and unclip a foot whilst the badger went tearing across the car park and into the hedgerow. I have a bit of a sore shoulder but otherwise seem OK, I can't comment on the badgers health as he/she didn't hang around. I love seeing wildlife but I would rather it was at least at arms or legs length.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok I've turned into a woss! I hated the rain this morning:rain:, got the layers wrong (I was cold yesterday so didn't want to underlayer but it wasn't as windy), and the rain stung my face (why couldn't it have come and gone in the night!!!).

The last time I was on my bike the saddle tipped half way along the way home so I got Mr Summerdays to tighten it when I got home (I can't do it up tight enough to stop it moving). Today 1 mile into the commute it tipped again.... I stopped to see if I could half way fix it and so did a very kind gentleman who offered to do it for me if I had the tools. So thank you nice man:okay: near the Willy Wicket, it was good of you to stop especially as that was where it was raining very heavily.

Now I'm wet, boots, gloves, socks .... you name it WET! Even the insides of the not so waterproof trousers!!!:cursing:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I was going to have a whinge about the wind and cold this morning...
But after reading the tales of torrential rain. mechanical failures and wild animal attacks I think I'll just be grateful that mine was uneventful :blush:

Top Bottom