Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Trying something new tomorrow, going along the canal tow path on the mountain bike (now shod in schwalbe city jets). Never tried this before but a change is as good as a rest apparently. Or it will be a horrible drawn out ordeal that will have me throwing the MTB in the bin and begging for forgiveness from the racer(sorry road bike, it's my age)

Origamist

Legendary Member
It was cold and showery tonight so I stuck an extra ten miles on the commute.

Good work.

I got caught in a light hail shower near Ollerton and the Garmin was reading a measely 5C. The wind had also picked up and I was battling it for most of the way home. Only managed an extra couple of miles tonight as was struggling when I got to Middlewich and decided to reject a longer route home.

Simontm

Veteran
No real dramas on the way in but there were some people on my route - who are you? why are you here?

Apologies not used to it :eek:

Anyway, one will have to die as he was a chirpy whistler, sorry no excuses, death, that is all ^_^

Numpty count: 2 - both cyclists. The first was a magnificent piece of MGIF-ery by a Bianchi who had to get past me at a red light by ducking into the bus stop and then coming up in front of me blocking me. He was very slow in reclipping and then was slow accelerating much to my chagrin as I fancied a free tow ;). Being quicker at that point, I had to overtake - of course about three seconds later he bombed passed me to I guess it counts to his SCR :smile:

Second was a MTB. Both of us crossed the Roman way at the lights, I was heading up the dual carriageway when the MTB decided he was going to bunny hop over onto the path, coming across me. So I steered to go round the back of him and he slammed his anchors on, resulting in me having to make a very sharp adjustment not to hit him :rolleyes:

Chilly but enjoyable ride in, only numptey was another cyclist coming the opposite way to me on a cyclepath, he was furiously ringing his bell telling me to get over. Numptey because it was him on the wrong side of the cyclepath, I indicated to him via hand signals and expletives to get on the other (left) side of the path. He got the message and moved but obviously still thought he was in the right as when I looked back he was back on the right side instead of the left. I think he may have been the same idiot who shouted at me to turn my lights off in the daytime a while ago.
I was quite impressed to see a group of 6 cyclists pull up behind me at the lights in Barking and none jumped the lights. I have not seen that many in one place on my commute for nearly a year.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Chilly but enjoyable ride in, only numptey was another cyclist coming the opposite way to me on a cyclepath, he was furiously ringing his bell telling me to get over. Numptey because it was him on the wrong side of the cyclepath, I indicated to him via hand signals and expletives to get on the other (left) side of the path. He got the message and moved but obviously still thought he was in the right as when I looked back he was back on the right side instead of the left. I think he may have been the same idiot who shouted at me to turn my lights off in the daytime a while ago.
I was quite impressed to see a group of 6 cyclists pull up behind me at the lights in Barking and none jumped the lights. I have not seen that many in one place on my commute for nearly a year.

Cam I just check the etiquette regarding cycle paths, do you treat them like roads and ride on the left?

On my commute most of the cyclepaths are actually marked as 2 lanes with little pictures to tell you that you should be on the left, some bits are shared with no markings but me and the other 99% of cyclists always cycle on the left. sometimes I think some cyclists cycle on the right because it was somethng they were taught to do as pedestrians or joggers. I met the plonker this morning on the narrow part of a unmarked cycleway as it goes parrallel with a bridge.
I use the cycleway by the A13, I have in the past tried cycling down the A13 but I find it makes you instantly unpopular with a lot of mortorists

apb

Veteran
Just about to head off from work yesterday and notice my back tyre was a little flat. i thought "must be a slow leak", so i get off and loosen the value. It just starts hissing and then the value pops out. eek WTF is up with that.

So i replace the tube and head home. as i'm heading home i can feel the back tyre is deflated (bugger, it was an already patched tube). it's slightly raining and i don't want to patch this tube in the rain, so i call my wife and say "i'm gonna be late as i'm walking" (it's a least 3 1/2 miles home). I use a very well used cycle way and a random stops and gives me a spare tube (lots of people offer help after this). I offer him a fiver but he refuses. i change this tube and head home.

cycle karma i owe you one buddy.

Top Bottom