Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am 2 km away from work, it is -26C fortunately no wind, and down goes the front tyre. To make things worst I took my mini pump out of my bag last week end. With or without the mini pump it is to cold to stop anyway so I road to work on a soft tyre, very slow ride. I keep a pump and tubes at work.

The valve has come apart from the tube ! such bad luck.

-26....makes me feel silly for not wanting to ride in the frost/fog today!

rivers

How far can I go?
A very pleasant 7* on my way in this morning. Lovely sunrise as well. But the warm-ish weather means the horses have been out. Horse owners should have to clean up after their horses.

Also, I got overtaken by a guy going hell for leather on his brompton. I caught up to him less than a mile later and he seemed to be out of steam.

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
Nice enough ride in especially when I first looked out the window and thought I'd be a drowned rat on the way in. My only annoyance was another cyclist. I was only behind him less than a mile or so but he must've been on a campaign to break as many road rules as possible. First he rides through the red light I'm waiting at, then meandering through moving traffic (maybe not illegal but it was down right dangerous) then crossed the chevrons to ride down the opposite way on the other side of the road, through a few pedestrian islands, across a few footpaths, then drops onto the overtaking lane of a 2 lane road in front of moving traffic. Organ donor if I've ever seen one!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had to bail at Chelford - I was starting to shiver and my slowness on the single speed ice bike was weakening my resolve. Didn't warm up until 10!
Can't blame you for that. You must have had a flat headwind as well, mine was mostly cross and tail and I was on the fast bike as the rain wasn't forecast till later but hit Macc at about 4. :angry:

prawny

Back on the bike this week after my crash induced lay off and then a couple of days in bed ill last week.

It's good to be back, even if the weather is crap. Yesterday morning was scary, similar conditions to the day I crashed so took it very steady, got the studded tyres fitted to the MTB last night though, might get a rut out on friday, it's looking a bit iffy

rivers

How far can I go?
As I was on my way home, I cycled past a guy walking his bike and stopped to ask if he was okay. He had a puncture and no tubes or tools with him. I asked how far he had to go, and it turns out he lives in the same part of Bristol as myself, which was nearly 8 miles from where we were. I offered him a tube and the use of my tools as it would have been a 2-3 hours of walking. By that point, he had already been walking for over a mile. I received his punctured tube in exchange (he asked if I had a repair kit, which I do, so it'll be an emergency tube, most likely for my wife's saddle bag).
I'm kind of surprised nobody before me stopped to ask if he needed any help. It was prime commuting time and the B2B path was quite busy today.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As I was on my way home, I cycled past a guy walking his bike and stopped to ask if he was okay. He had a puncture and no tubes or tools with him. I asked how far he had to go, and it turns out he lives in the same part of Bristol as myself, which was nearly 8 miles from where we were. I offered him a tube and the use of my tools as it would have been a 2-3 hours of walking. By that point, he had already been walking for over a mile. I received his punctured tube in exchange (he asked if I had a repair kit, which I do, so it'll be an emergency tube, most likely for my wife's saddle bag).
I'm kind of surprised nobody before me stopped to ask if he needed any help. It was prime commuting time and the B2B path was quite busy today.

Well done you.
And what was his reason for not carrying spares or tools?

Top Bottom