Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Felt bitterly cold out but fortunately no ice on the roads. I felt a little smug this morning sailing past the huge tailback on the A49 (roadworks in Bayston Hill again).

Busy on the lanes with people trying to avoid said tailback and there was a lot of mud on the road due to vehicles churning up the verges while trying to pass one another. The bike desperately needs a clean now.

On the way back the wind felt even colder but fortunately was behind me and helping which made for a pretty decent ride really.

prawny

Surprisingly pleasant ride in this morning, with wisps of snow about. Driving standards were good and I'd got my layers spot.

Expecting hell on earth tonight, probably with a 40mph head wind.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Surprisingly pleasant ride in this morning, with wisps of snow about. Driving standards were good and I'd got my layers spot.

Expecting hell on earth tonight, probably with a 40mph head wind.
I overdressed a bit coming home from night shift , pretty toasty so i had to undo zips but that meant the cold air was on my chest, like you said though it was constant "micro" snow all the way home .
Took the drop bar mtb as although i know it doesnt have more grip on black ice the wider tyres offer a bit more security along with the poggies to keep my hands warm.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Numpty day today, the numpty being me!

Started off by getting a bike out of the shed mid morning for the later ride in, faffed around the house for a while then got dressed for the commute including shoes and overshoes to counteract the windchill only to realise as I got on the bike that I had automatically put on clipless shoes when the bike I'd got out was the only one in the fleet with flat pedals. Couldn't be bothered to change.

Then on the way home, the cheap Chinese front light with freshly charged batteries stopped working about 4 miles from home. No back-up light as I rarely use this bike and 1 1/2 miles of the remaining bit was on an unlit "quiet lane" which was interesting!. Still can't get the light to work so it's gone in the bin.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
First day on a bike after a week of partying so that was hard work!!! No real numpties but a few MGIFs that I really should just forget about. They pass me with space it's just that there's nowhere for them to go so I sadly shake my head.

New toys today. Decided I don't really need a GPS on my commuter anymore so bought a Cateye Enduro. Seems to work well, large clear display. Also got some crab fingered gloves (apparently I have to call them that cos someone trade marked Lobster gloves). Once I'd got over the change in my hand position, they were great. Toasty warm!!!

It is +1C on the Canadian prairies, ride in this morning was a dream. For the ride home it is predicted the the temperature will go up to 3C, so mayhem expected. Also the morning commute no longer requires lights, I still use them on pulse mode.

Last edited:

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
drove to work as I overslept but went back at lunch and go my bike. Very lovely lunchtime ride back to work, many more mums and buggies on the joint paths than early in the morning. It was so nice to ride in the sun though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It is +1C on the Canadian prairies ride in this morning was a dream. For the ride home it is predicted the the temperature will go up to 3C, so mayhem expected. Also the morning commute no longer requires lights, I still use them on pulse mode.

Positively tropical for you this time of year :okay:

Noru

Had a tailgater & abuse for riding in the primary position on a very short stretch through town. So decided it's the final straw and written a polite letter to the councils Traffic Management Team about closing the rat-rut or atleast traffic calming measures for those trying to skip the traffic on the nearby A road.

Apart from that the weathers dry and it's still light-ish at 5pm ^_^

Top Bottom