Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Two failed attempts to get in front on the approach to pinch points on the way home this afternoon. At least both drivers gave up and pulled in behind rather than forcing me into the gutter.

Shorts! It is blooming freezing in Leicester. I'm still wearing long johns under the bikesters.

We are not out of the woods yet. We still have at least a month, closer to two with snow on the ground. Next week it is predicted to be -10C that is a much better temperature as there will be less

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We are not out of the woods yet. We still have at least a month, closer to two with snow on the ground. Next week it is predicted to be -10C that is a much better temperature as there will be less

Really don't know how you handle it. It's bad enough here at the moment, though it's getting slightly warmer now.
Don;t know how the heck I would have managed if I had taken that job in Toronto a dozen years back.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
That would have been a really nice run if I had thought "it's raining, put your rain jacket on" rather than my usual "don't worry it'll stop in a minute" :sad:

Also when is a traffic light judged to be broken. Near Selhurst Park, the current sequence is Crystal Palace bound traffic, green man, Crystal Palace bound traffic, green man, CP bound traffic, Croydon bound traffic. Repeat. Naturally people got miffed and just drove through.

U

User33236

On yesterday's commute home I was stopped in the centre of the lane at a give way and had a driver accelerate directly towards me in order for them to access a one way road...... in the opposite direction of traffic flow :cursing:.

Luckily I was able to move out of their way in time as they sure as heck weren't for stopping.

Fingers cross motorists are a bit more friendly today.

Last edited by a moderator:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Spitting with rain when I got up this morning but had stopped by the time I left. Lovely quick ride in. Mainly due to no school traffic. But also a nice bit of SCR. The other chap didn;t have much road sense, undertaking traffic rather then overtaking meaning he got stuck a few times. That soon got me all warmed up and meant I had the quickest ride in for a long while. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Sixmile

Veteran
First puncture of 2017 this morning. Heard a hissing from the rear tyre but it was still up so cycled on for another mile or so until it was softening. Another cyclist stopped to see what was wrong even though he admitted he'd no tools. Nice of him to stop all the same.

Got to work, before I took anything off I tried the shower to make sure it was working as it wasn't yesterday. Yip, water came out. Back to the locker, got my gear, getting into the shower, turned it on, nothing. Back over to the gym again...

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Really don't know how you handle it. It's bad enough here at the moment, though it's getting slightly warmer now.
Don;t know how the heck I would have managed if I had taken that job in Toronto a dozen years back.

I certainly wouldn't be entertaining extended commutes in that weather. Much warmer this morning, though currently it is raining so might be a short ride home tonight

13 rider

Guru
Very wet tonight, so a short ride, but I did hit 2,500 miles for the year ^_^
As a part time commuter 2/3 days a week I normally dodge the weather .Looked at the forecast last night fine this morning rain between 1500 and 1700 then clearing . Finish at 1740 so thought I be alright WRONG got a bit wet on the way home

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
As a part time commuter 2/3 days a week I normally dodge the weather .Looked at the forecast last night fine this morning rain between 1500 and 1700 then clearing . Finish at 1740 so thought I be alright WRONG got a bit wet on the way home

The flooding was ridiculous considering it is the first rain we've had for ages.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As usual we are the lucky ones here in the South East. We had the rain during the day so missed it on both workwards and homewards.

Top Bottom