Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Was this when I bunny hopped across the traffic island at Dialstone lane or when squeezing past the foreign truck that was performing a late right turn into Bramhall Morr Lane from the left lane because he was lost? Would have been about 6.10 and I was hatless on the hybrid with single pannier on the right :okay:

That was you. Not hanging about as usual.

I was on the way to A&E to see the MIL.

PS I am not stalking you. :laugh:

Slick

Guru
As a long time commuter I find your comment understandable. Cycle commuting is not for everyone. It can be quite easy to let all the day to day commuting grind get to you. One definitely needs a thick skin.
Yeah, I enjoy the physical side of cycling to work, but if I'm not out the door bang on the second finishing time comes you seem to get a different class of car commuter who will run you over to get to the que at the lights first. Hopefully it was just a bad day, and I think I may have noticed a sneaky wee path that would circumnavigate a large chunk of the worst of it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yeah, I enjoy the physical side of cycling to work, but if I'm not out the door bang on the second finishing time comes you seem to get a different class of car commuter who will run you over to get to the que at the lights first. Hopefully it was just a bad day, and I think I may have noticed a sneaky wee path that would circumnavigate a large chunk of the worst of it.
Ha, I rode in front of one tonigt and started hurling obscenities at him. He was the 3rd or 4th car to come through a red light, preventing me with a green light from going (or not as it happened!). They don't like it when someone with that thick skin sticks it to em! :laugh:

That was you. Not hanging about as usual.
:whistle:

Slick

Guru
Ha, I rode in front of one tonigt and started hurling obscenities at him. He was the 3rd or 4th car to come through a red light, preventing me with a green light from going (or not as it happened!). They don't like it when someone with that thick skin sticks it to em! :laugh:

:whistle:
Don't get me wrong, there was one in particular when I was really wishing he would stop to discuss further as he kept signalling that I should cycle in the gutter to allow him to squeeze passed at a pinch point.:boxing:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Should know better to trust the BBC weather forecast! Caught a little rain on the way home. Nothing heavy, mainly just a little drizzle. Drivers were pretty well behaved. Quite a lot more cyclists out and about so its definitely getting warmer out there.

Nothing much to report apart from a numpty with headphones strapped on his noggin and looking at his phone stepping out into oncoming traffic without looking left of right. I had to swerve out of the way to avoid him as he stepped directly into my path but it was quite funny when a drunk who saw him step out without looking started to berate him.

Why cant people just put their damn phones down even for 10 seconds while they cross the road.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Speak for yourself! I got soaked both ways!!

Today nothing really other than a lot of overdressed cyclists crossing my route on the A21. I'd be a little pool of sweat when I got to work if I wore that much.

Yea but you big norvern monkey types always have a rain cloud with you.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Rather enjoyable and pleasant ride home from work this morning, helped enormously by the fact that I am now off work until 1st of March, but also because it was light, dry, warm and Friday. This is possibly also the reason for there being so many cyclists on the road? I don't normally encounter this many.
Got a bit of a shock when checking the cycle computer after the trip. The odometer has rolled past 16,000 miles during the last commute :eek:
That is a staggering number of miles although I still consider the hybrid bike I bought back in Nov 2010 to be new. If anyone had suggested back then that I would ride so far on one bike I would have said they were probably mad! I now fully expect to have this bike past the 20k mark and most likely still be riding it at 30k. I wonder if my DIY handbuilt wheels I fitted when the bike had only covered around 2k will still be going strong?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Cracking ride this morning. Not a lot of wind and mild. Got an hello out of a miserable bugger I see nearly every day and doesn't even normally thank you when you give way to him on the cycle path. Bumped into a lad I haven't seen for a while and pootled for a few miles together, and then best of all, got the biggest, loudest hello from a little lad on a bike, he can't have been more than 4 or 5 ^_^

clippetydoodah

Brilliant commute this morning. Really warm too. I didn't need most of my winter kit.
Tried out my new Altura fleece gloves. Very comfortable. I am also pleased that the tips
and tricks I have picked up from using trainerroad have gone in.

Coming home was verging on pleasant!

Day light
No wind
Dry
Lovely sunset
All I needed was my trek and not on this bso thing I call a bike but having said that it has done so well
30 miles each day in the shittiest weather!

GlenBen

Über Member
Eventfull trip home tonight. In primary coming down a hill in a 30 zone, comfortably keeping up with traffic when someone tries to squeeze past on a blind bend. He couldnt fit through the gap and got a little angry. Bit futher on at the lights he gets out his car, all 30 stone of him, and waddles over to start shouting at me. At that point the lights change so I just rode off and left him to it. Made me a bit smug that he then missed the lights while he was getting back in his car.

Then I had a bit of a clipless moment a few miles on and bashed my knee. First one in about 4 yeards of being clipped in.

Otherwise not a bad ride.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
So 100 miles yesterday, plus headwind, plus carrying laptop meant this morning was never going to be quick. Also whatever I did cleaning the commuter on Saturday means I now have 10 times more noise coming from the bike. There's not a lot I can do till weekend, I may be able to get the bottom bracket off tonight and regrease that but not much else. :sad:

On a plus side the Ultremo DD tyres are a marked speed improvement over Duranos but we'll see how they do for visitations.

Sixmile

Veteran
Quite a pleasant ride in this morning. I had the wind with me or at least at the side of me until I hit my long downhill section. I had a few cars pass me on blind bends which generally doesn't happen on the country road I travel.

Passed over the motorway bridge this morning to see the traffic at a standstill, that is my alternative so it's great when I'm flying on by!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Second commute out with the carbon since i had it sitting indoors since the Christmas ride. Had to get used to the feel of it all over again. Was sunny when i started out. 14'c supposedly. Now it's a little cloudy but there's a nice warm breeze blowing by

Top Bottom